Top pharmaceutical drugs - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about top pharmaceutical drugs
The global pharmaceutical market is to a large degree driven by its top pharmaceutical products. The same is true for the leading pharmaceutical companies, which generate a large share of their revenue from their top drug brands. For example, Pfizer makes some 23 billion U.S. dollars with its top 10 pharmaceutical drugs, or around 40 percent of its total revenue.
In 2015, Gilead Sciences' Hepatitis C drug Harvoni was the world’s top medication based on revenue. Harvoni generated approximately 18 billion U.S. dollars of revenue worldwide. Pfizer’s cholesterol drug Lipitor was by far the top global drug for years, but yielded its position due to heavy losses caused by patent expiration. Between 2011 and 2012, Pfizer’s revenue through Lipitor fell by some 60 percent.
In the U.S., Gilead’s Harvoni was also the top medication based on revenue in 2015. The drug generated some 14.3 billion U.S. dollars of revenue in that year. Due to lower prices, generics are always the top-selling pharmaceutical products when measured by dispensed prescriptions. In 2015, there were more than 121 million prescriptions for top generic levothyroxine in the United States alone.
Oncology is one of the leading therapeutic area by sales revenue, both worldwide and in the United States. In the U.S., expenditure on cancer medication amounted to about 39 billion U.S. dollars in 2015. The top drug in this category is Roche’s Rituxan, generating approximately 3.6 billion U.S. dollars in the United States.
Picture: freeimages.com / GiniMiniGi
|Global sales of Humira||$14.95bn||Details →|
|Revenue of Pfizer's Lyrica||$4,966m||Details →|
|Revenue of Norvartis' Gleevec/glivec||$3,323m||Details →|
|Global pharmaceutical sales in oncologics||$78.9bn||Details →|
|Select therapy classes- global||Values||Statistic|
|Sales of Pfizer + Daewoong's Prevnar 13||$6,328m||Details →|
|Revenue of Celegene's Revlimid||$5,801m||Details →|
|Predicted sales of Enbrel in 2022||$7,177m||Details →|
|U.S. health spending in oncologics||$39.1bn||Details →|
|Prescriptions of acetaminophen/hydrocodone||97m||Details →|
|Number of units sold of Crestor (AstraZeneca)||21,015k||Details →|
|Select therapy classes- U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Revenue of Pfizer's Premarin||$951m||Details →|
|Revenue of Abilify||$7,240m||Details →|
|Sales of Gilead Sciences' Sovaldi||$2.99bn||Details →|
- Top U.S. pharma products by prescriptions 2015+Top U.S. pharma products by prescriptions 2015
Top 20 U.S. pharma products by dispensed prescriptions in 2015 (in millions)
- Top cancer drugs in the U.S. based on revenue 2011+Top cancer drugs in the U.S. based on revenue 2011
Top 10 cancer drugs in the U.S. based on revenue in 2011 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Top pharmaceutical products by sales worldwide 2015Top pharmaceutical products by sales worldwide 2015
Top 20 pharmaceutical products by sales worldwide in 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- GlaxoSmithKline's revenue by therapeutic area 2014-016GlaxoSmithKline's revenue by therapeutic area 2014-016
- GlaxoSmithKline's revenue by region 2012-2016GlaxoSmithKline's revenue by region 2012-2016
- GSK: revenue of Seretide/Advair globally by region 2012-2016GSK: revenue of Seretide/Advair globally by region 2012-2016
- Sanofi top pharmaceutical products 2014-2016Sanofi top pharmaceutical products 2014-2016
- Revenue of Sanofi 2006-2016Revenue of Sanofi 2006-2016