Gold as an investment - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on gold as an investment
Gold has been revered as a symbol of wealth and prosperity for millennia. Gold has managed to maintain its value through the ages and unlike paper currency, coins or other assets it has been a stable way to pass on and preserve the value of wealth from one generation to the next. A central bank or a nation will often hold gold reserves in order to store value as a guarantee to redeem promises to pay depositors or to secure a currency. The United States topped the list of the countries with the largest gold reserves this year, with reserves amounting to over eight thousand tons.
Historically gold has been an excellent hedge against inflation because of its tendency to increase in value when the cost of living increases. Because of its stability and the rate of return as an investment, it is an attractive commodity. In 2016, gold had the seventh highest average daily trading volume globally.
Gold is widely used in the global investment industry. In the second quarter of 2016, SPDR Gold Shares was the largest physically-backed gold exchange traded funds with 950.1 tonnes of assets under management. As time goes on demand for gold bars in increasing, whereas demand for gold coins has remained stable.
Photo: istockphoto.com / zentilla
- Gold reserves by country 2016Gold reserves by country 2016
Gold reserves by country as of December 2016 (in metric tons)
- Development of global gold stocks 2000-2015+Development of global gold stocks 2000-2015
Gold stocks worldwide between 2000 and 2015, by type (in metric tons)
- Leading physically-backed gold ETFs worldwide Q4 2016 by AuM in tonnes+Leading physically-backed gold ETFs worldwide Q4 2016 by AuM in tonnes
Leading physically-backed gold exchange traded funds (ETFs) worldwide in fourth quarter of 2016, by AuM* in tonnes
- Leading major financial assets worldwide Sep 2016, by average daily trading volume+Leading major financial assets worldwide Sep 2016, by average daily trading volume
Leading major financial assets worldwide as of September 2016, by average daily trading volume (in billion U.S. dollars)
- China: production of cement by month February 2017China: production of cement by month February 2017
- Monthly inflation rate in China February 2017Monthly inflation rate in China February 2017
- Price for an ounce of fine gold - London Fixing 2016-2017Price for an ounce of fine gold - London Fixing 2016-2017
- Top gold producing companies globally 2016Top gold producing companies globally 2016
- Value of the leading global apparel brands 2017Value of the leading global apparel brands 2017