App Developers - Statistics & Facts
Facts and statistics on App Developers
Since the birth of the smartphone and tablet markets, the potential for software developers to strike it big with that one popular app has lead to an explosion of freelancers and programmers working in the app development industry. The field of app development is particularly attractive when one considers that the potential devices a developer can sell to is likely to expand further. In the future, app developers expect there will be a strong market for an even greater range of electronic devices than tablets and smartphones, expanding to include televisions, connected cars, game consoles, and VR devices. For the moment, one thing is clear: this is a market that is constantly expanding and evolving.
On average, there are more than 30 thousand new apps submitted to the iTunes App store alone each month and still more written for competing platforms such as Android and Windows. By mid 2016, around 130 billion apps had been downloaded from the Apple App store worldwide and approximately 65 billion apps had been downloaded from Google Play.
In the past, the market has been dominated by apps that are free to download and this appears likely to continue into the future. Generally, such apps make their profits through advertising, sponsorship, the possibility for in app purchases or paid extensions or upgrades. A significant share of users seem to be to upgrade to a paid version of an app. Some of the most popular apps around the world, that also happen to be free for the user, include; Google Maps, Facebook Mobile App, YouTube, Twitter and Google+. However, not all platforms are equal in terms of revenue opportunity for app developers. A 2015 survey of app developers and publishers revealed that average revenues per app were highest for those developed for the Windows Phone, with iOS apps generating approximately a third less in revenue, and Android apps less than half that of Windows.
Photo: istockphoto.com / scanrail
|Number of smartphone users worldwide in 2017||2.3bn||Details →|
|Number of tablet users worldwide in 2017||1.2bn||Details →|
|Revenue generated by mobile gaming apps worldwide in 2016||41bn USD||Details →|
|Number of smartphone users in the United States in 2017||222m||Details →|
|Number of Android users in the United States||107.7m||Details →|
|Share of app developers developing for Android worldwide||41%||Details →|
|Global conversion rate of online shoppers using Android||1.5%||Details →|
- Apple App Store: number of downloads as of September 2016Apple App Store: number of downloads as of September 2016
Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from July 2008 to September 2016 (in billions)
- Google Play: number of available apps 2009-2017Google Play: number of available apps 2009-2017
Number of available applications in the Google Play Store from December 2009 to March 2017
- Number of apps available in leading app stores 2017+Number of apps available in leading app stores 2017
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of March 2017
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017
- U.S. internet usage penetration 2016, by age groupU.S. internet usage penetration 2016, by age group
- Mobile ad spend worldwide 2015-2020Mobile ad spend worldwide 2015-2020