Highway Construction in the U.S. - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and Facts about U.S. Highway Construction
Federal, state and local governments remain the major contributor of highway construction funding, but the number of public-private partnerships (P3s) is on the increase. Under a P3, private firms either receive money from the government in order to build, operate or maintain parts of the road network, or these firms acquire the right to generate revenue in exchange for a fee paid to the government. A significant amount of the funding for constructing and maintaining highways originates from the United States Highway Trust Fund. This financial instrument derives most of its revenue streams from sources such as fuel and vehicle taxes. The fund was initially established in the late 1950s to finance the United States Interstate Highway System and other transportation projects. However, the Highway Trust Fund has been unable to meet obligations for highway and transit spending for over three years, and several billion U.S. dollars had to be incurred from the U.S. Treasury’s general fund. In 2015, the public sector spent almost 90 billion U.S. dollars on highway construction. Highway and road construction put in place in the United States is projected to grow to over 99.4 billion U.S. dollars by 2020. Highway and bridge construction is expected to vary across the United States, growing in about 20 states but remaining in stable in others. Some states have increased investment into transportation construction in recent years; since 2013, 15 states that have raised gas taxes for increased investments.
U.S. revenue streams originating from highway and road services - including reconstruction, repairs and maintenance - amounted to around 26 billion U.S. dollars in 2013. The leading companies in the field of highway construction include Kiewit, Colas and Lane Construction.
- U.S. construction: value of highway and street construction 2005-2020 +U.S. construction: value of highway and street construction 2005-2020
Projected value of highway and street construction put in place in the United States from 2005 to 2020 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- U.S. highway and street construction industry gross output 2000-2014+U.S. highway and street construction industry gross output 2000-2014
U.S. highway and street construction industry gross output from 2000 to 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
- U.S. Highway Trust Fund revenue segmentation 2015U.S. Highway Trust Fund revenue segmentation 2015
Breakdown of U.S. Highway Trust Fund revenue in 2015, by segment
- U.S. unemployment rate: February 2017, seasonally adjustedU.S. unemployment rate: February 2017, seasonally adjusted
- The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017
- China: production of cement by month December 2016China: production of cement by month December 2016
- Mine production of asbestos - leading countries 2010-2016Mine production of asbestos - leading countries 2010-2016
- Major countries in iodine production 2011-2016Major countries in iodine production 2011-2016