Agriculture in South Korea - Statistics & Facts

The agriculture industry in South Korea has increasingly lost its importance, as Korea began to focus its efforts on the manufacturing industry in order to develop the economy. More recently, the high-tech industries have also been developed, turning out products such as semiconductors and smartphones. In 2017, the agriculture (crop and livestock production), forestry, and fishery industries contributed approximately 28.5 trillion South Korean won, or 1.6 percent, to the gross domestic product (GDP). In addition, against a total population of more than 51.6 million Koreans in 2018, farmers and their families numbered an estimated 2.3 million people, spread out across a million households. The farming population has been shrinking for years and this trend is expected to continue.

The market for agricultural and forestry products in 2018 was worth under 32 trillion won, an increase over the past two years, but nonetheless lower than the 36 trillion South Korean won in 2014. In contrast, the livestock products’ market was worth over 27 trillion South Korean won, up from 20 trillion South Korean won in 2013. The fish products’ market was worth over eleven trillion South Korean won – an increase from eight trillion South Korean won in 2013. Imports of agricultural and forest products in 2018 amounted to almost 5.3 billion U.S. dollars – 600 billion more than exports. As of 2017, only 38 percent of the grains, meats, vegetables, and fruits consumed by Koreans came from domestic sources. The other 62 percent were imports.

A major reason why the agriculture industry is having trouble in recent years is because eating habits have changed in Korea. According to a government study of 10,000 Koreans in 2017, consumption of grains dropped over the past decade, while meat consumption increased by almost 40 percent. Additionally, Koreans are eating out more than before, purchasing quick meals at convenience stores and skipping breakfast more often. Meanwhile, imported fruits such as bananas and oranges are being preferred over domestically sourced fruits such as apples, pears and tangerines.

Furthermore, traditional farming as an occupation was previously rejected by younger generations, who preferred higher paying and less physically intense positions within companies or public services. In many cases, farmers are older citizens who rely on government loans and subsidies. Almost half of Korean farmers are 65 years old or older. However, the negative views on agricultural jobs have started to change in recent years, with renewed interest in agriculture among youths. This interest is especially prevalent in the development of so-called “smart” farming and other changes. Smart farming is defined as applying cutting-edge technologies for the efficient remote management, automation, and mass-production of traditional farming.

Interesting statistics

In the following 5 chapters, you will quickly find the 24 most important statistics relating to "Agriculture in South Korea".

Agriculture industry in South Korea

Dossier on the topic

All important statistics are prepared by our experts – available for direct download as PPT & PDF!
TOP SELLER

Important key figures

The most important key figures provide you with a compact summary of the topic of "Agriculture in South Korea" and take you straight to the corresponding statistics.

Key figures

Smart farming

Any more questions?

Any more questions?

Get in touch with us quickly and easily.
We are happy to help!

Get in touch with us quickly and easily.
We are happy to help!

Do you still have questions?

Feel free to contact us anytime using our contact form or visit our FAQ page.