iPhone - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the iPhone
In January of 2007, Apple released the first version of the iPhone. This marked a revolution in the global smartphone market, thanks to the introduction of innovative features such as touch screen interfaces and virtual keyboards. At the time, Apple’s iPhone was the main growth driver for the smartphone market, pushing competitors to develop new products and operating systems to respond to new market demands. Apple has released nine generations of the iPhone so far, and established itself as the second biggest smartphone vendor in the world in terms of shipment as of 2015.
Apple's iPhone sales have consistently increased since 2007, as Apple grew its position as one of the main players in the smartphone market. Much of the iPhone’s success can be attributed to Apple’s ability to keep the product competitive throughout the years, with new releases and updates. iPhone sales jumped from around 40 million units sold in 2010 to more than 230 million iPhones sold in 2015 alone, which translated into more than 155 billion U.S. dollars in revenue for Apple during that year alone. As sales increased, the iPhone gained space within the company, changing Apple’s business dramatically and becoming the most successful Apple product. The iPhone’s share of the company’s total revenue has jumped from around one third in 2009 to about two thirds of the overall revenue in 2015.
The iPhone runs on Apple’s own mobile operating system, iOS, which is the second most popular smartphone operating system in the world. Each of the nine iPhone generations introduced to the market was accompanied by a major release of Apple’s iOS. For browsing and downloading applications to the iPhone, the user has to go through the Apple App Store, which has 1.5 million mobile apps available. Games, business and education are the top three most popular app categories in the Apple App Store, with games accounting for 23 percent of all active apps on the platform.
The iPhone 5S model had the largest user base worldwide amongst all iPhone models in 2015 as 125 million people used this iPhone model. The iPhone 6 had the second largest user base, while the iPhone 5 was the third most popular model that year. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models were released in September 2014. A year later, Apple released the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. The most recent iPhone model is the iPhone SE, a 4-inch display device marketed as an alternative to the iPhone 5s.
Photo: istockphoto.com / saturated
|iPhone sales & market share||Values||Statistic|
|Global Apple iPhone unit sales||211.88m||Details →|
|Apple’s smartphone market share||14.6%||Details →|
|iOS market share worldwide||18.3%||Details →|
|iPhone sales revenue worldwide 1Q'17||54.4bn USD||Details →|
|Price of an iPhone in the United States||707 USD||Details →|
|Original manufacturer's suggest retail price of iPhone 6s (2015)||749 USD||Details →|
|Average selling price of Apple iPhone 2016||651 USD||Details →|
|Manufacturing cost of iPhone 7 display||43 USD||Details →|
- Apple iPhone unit sales worldwide 2007-2017, by quarterApple iPhone unit sales worldwide 2007-2017, by quarter
Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 1st quarter 2017 (in million units)
- Apple iPhone sales revenue 2007-2017+Apple iPhone sales revenue 2007-2017
Apple's iPhone revenue from 3rd quarter 2007 to 1st quarter 2017 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Apple App Store: number of downloads as of September 2016Apple App Store: number of downloads as of September 2016
Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from July 2008 to September 2016 (in billions)
- Apple: revenue worldwide 2004-2016+Apple: revenue worldwide 2004-2016
Apple's revenue worldwide from 2004 to 2016* (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Global mobile OS market share 2009-2016, by quarterGlobal mobile OS market share 2009-2016, by quarter
Global mobile OS market share in sales to end users from 1st quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2016
- Global smartphone shipments by vendor/manufacturer 2009-2016+Global smartphone shipments by vendor/manufacturer 2009-2016
Smartphone shipments by vendor worldwide from 4th quarter 2009 to 4th quarter 2016 (in million units)
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month February 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month February 2016
- IT devices total worldwide spending 2014-2021IT devices total worldwide spending 2014-2021
- News reach in the U.S. 2017, by sourceNews reach in the U.S. 2017, by source
- Mobile operating systems: market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2017Mobile operating systems: market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2017
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017