Americans Are The World's Biggest TV Lovers
Despite the popularity of Netflix, Hulu and other streaming services in the United States, Americans spend more time than any other people watching traditional TV. According to Ofcom’s latest International Communications Market Report, Americans spent 4 hours and 42 minutes per day watching TV in 2014, roughly one hour more than people from the UK and Germany and two hours more than Chinese TV viewers who spent an average of 2 hours and 37 minutes watching the tube.
The numbers, as shown in the chart below, illustrate that as of today, TV has a lot of life in it yet. It continues to play a significant role in peoples’ everyday lives and probably will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
- Average daily television viewing time in France 2005-2014Average daily television viewing time in France 2005-2014
- Daily television viewing time among children in France 2003-2013Daily television viewing time among children in France 2003-2013
- Comparison of daily television viewing time in Germany 2007 and 2015Comparison of daily television viewing time in Germany 2007 and 2015
- Average daily time spent using selected media in Norway 2014-2015Average daily time spent using selected media in Norway 2014-2015
- Most watched TV networks in the U.S. 2015Most watched TV networks in the U.S. 2015
- Media reach in the U.S. 2014Media reach in the U.S. 2014
- Distribution of media time worldwide 2010-2017Distribution of media time worldwide 2010-2017
- Audience market share of television stations in the Netherlands 2010-2015Audience market share of television stations in the Netherlands 2010-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens