Netflix Adds 17 Million Subscribers in 2015
Just a few days after Netflix surprised the world with the announcement of its international expansion, the video streaming company had more good news to share. Netflix reported very positive results for the fourth quarter of 2015, beating analysts’ expectations in nearly every respect.
Revenue increased by 23 percent compared to last year’s December quarter, bringing the total for 2015 to $6.78 billion. At $306 million, net income for the year came in short of last year’s total, but analysts had expected the decline to be even bigger, given the company’s ongoing investments in original content and international growth.
Most importantly though, Netflix added more than 17 million subscribers over the past 12 months and now streams content to almost 75 million people around the world. As expected, Netflix’ subscriber base grew much quicker outside the United States than it did within. With 5.6 million added subscribers (1.56 million domestically and 4.04 million internationally) between October and December, the fourth quarter was the best ever for the company in terms of subscriber growth.
Considering that Netflix just became available in 130 additional countries (at least theoretically), it can be expected that international subscriber growth won’t slow down in the near future. Netflix itself projected that it will add another 6 million customers in the first quarter of 2016.
- Netflix: number of subscribers 2015, by regionNetflix: number of subscribers 2015, by region
- Number of Netflix subscribers in the Netherlands 2016Number of Netflix subscribers in the Netherlands 2016
- Number of Netflix streaming subscribers worldwide 2011-2016Number of Netflix streaming subscribers worldwide 2011-2016
- Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently used websites in Sweden 2017
- Streaming music subscribers worldwide 2010-2020Streaming music subscribers worldwide 2010-2020
- Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month December 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month December 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl