Netflix's Global Expansion
After having entered a few European markets in 2015, Netflix made a surprise announcement on Wednesday saying that the streaming service is now available in 130 additional countries. Looking at the map below illustrates that Netflix is now available almost everywhere in the world, with the most notable blind spots being China, Syria and Crimea.
Netflix had first expanded outside the United States in 2010, when its streaming offering became available in Canada. In the past few years, the company’s international push had picked up pace but no one really predicted the service to reach almost universal coverage so soon. Discussing the omission of China, CEO Reed Hastings stated that his company is still working on bringing its services to the largest market in the world but warned that it could take some time to gain approval by the Chinese government.
As of September 2015, Netflix had 43 million domestic and 26 million international streaming subscribers. Given yesterday’s announcement, it'll be interesting to observe how quickly the latter number will increase.
- Number of Netflix streaming subscribers worldwide 2011-2016Number of Netflix streaming subscribers worldwide 2011-2016
- Number of Netflix streaming subscribers in the U.S. 2011-2016Number of Netflix streaming subscribers in the U.S. 2011-2016
- Netflix series viewership 2016Netflix series viewership 2016
- Leading kids brands in the U.S. 2016Leading kids brands in the U.S. 2016
- Revenue of global public internet companies 2014-2015Revenue of global public internet companies 2014-2015
- Media usage in an online minute 2015Media usage in an online minute 2015
- Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2015Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2015
- Consumers' relationship with brands worldwide 2014, by ageConsumers' relationship with brands worldwide 2014, by age
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens