Android and iOS Are the Last Two Standing
Last week, WhatsApp announced in a blog post that it will stop supporting a number of mobile operating systems starting in 2017. Among those platforms scrapped by WhatsApp are Nokia’s mobile platforms, Windows Phone 7.1 and most notably BlackBerry.
WhatsApp’s plan to focus on fewer platforms is the latest of many signs pointing in the same direction: the mobile platform war is over and there are two big winners. Last year, Android and iOS devices accounted for 97.5 percent of global smartphone sales, up from just 38 percent in 2010.
As Android and iOS gobbled up market share, all other platforms have sooner or later been caught in the same vicious circle: publishers and app developers prefer platforms with large audiences and users choose platforms based on the availability of their favorite apps. Once the users jump ship, app developers soon follow and vice versa.
- User share of the Android smartphone operating system in Finland 2016, by age groupUser share of the Android smartphone operating system in Finland 2016, by age group
- User share of the Apple iOS smartphone operating system in Finland 2016, by age groupUser share of the Apple iOS smartphone operating system in Finland 2016, by age group
- Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2015Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2015
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017
- China: production of cell phones by month December 2016China: production of cell phones by month December 2016
- Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl