Chinese Smartphones On The Rise
In terms of unit sales, Samsung is way out in front in the smartphone market at the moment. With Apple predictably in second place, the three vendors vying to break into this lucrative two-horse race are all Chinese. The head of Huawei, Richard Yu, recently stated with confidence that his company will overtake Apple in the smartphone market within the next two years. Looking at the infographic below, that claim may not be as bold as it first sounds.
After a Q3 on Q3 increase in end user unit sales from 2015 to 2016 of 18.52 percent, combined with a fall at Apple of 6.65 percent, Huawei are now almost within ten million units and very much heading in the right direction. Larger growth was also seen at Oppo (110 percent) and BBK (90 percent). If this Chinese rise continues, the global smartphone landscape could look rather different in a few years' time.
- Share of the smartphone market in Indonesia 2015-2016, by vendorShare of the smartphone market in Indonesia 2015-2016, by vendor
- Share of the smartphone market in India 2014-2016, by vendorShare of the smartphone market in India 2014-2016, by vendor
- Share of the smartphone market in Argentina 2014-2015, by vendorShare of the smartphone market in Argentina 2014-2015, by vendor
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016
- U.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2017, by monthU.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2017, by month
- Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2017Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2017
- Market share of the most common operating systems in Germany 2009-2017Market share of the most common operating systems in Germany 2009-2017
- IT devices total worldwide spending 2014-2021IT devices total worldwide spending 2014-2021
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl