Smartphone market in China - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the smartphone market in China
The global smartphone market is highly dynamic. Although smartphones did not exist 20 years ago, it was estimated that the number of smartphone users worldwide has reached more than two billion in 2016.
In terms of shipments, China has remained the world’s largest smartphone market since 2012. In 2016, smartphone shipments in China reached over 467 million units, accounting for about 31.8 percent of the total volume of global smartphone shipments. The number of mobile phone users in China is projected to reach about 1.1 billion by 2019 with as many as 63 percent of them smartphone owners. The mobile phone service in China is provided by three domestic telecommunication network operators: China Mobile, China Unicom and China Telecom.
By the end of 2016, the sales value of smartphones in China had amounted to about 133.6 billion dollars, with an increase of about 15 percent compared to the previous year. The large smartphone market in China also led to fierce competition among various manufacturers. Apple and Samsung are facing more and more challenges and pressure from domestic smartphone makers in China like Huawei, Oppo, Vivo and Xiaomi. In the fourth quarter of 2016, the shipment volume of iPhone picked up to approximately 14.9 million units after the launch of its iPhone 7 model series, while the Chinese domestic brand OPPO ranked first with a shipment volume of about 24.5 million units. The Chinese companies have long left the cheap segment and are producing more and more high-end smartphones with considerable success. They are benefiting from a rich local smartphone manufacturing and design ecosystem, which allows them to compete with foreign smartphone brands.
In terms of operating system market share, the Chinese market was dominated by Google’s Android OS and Apple’s iOS. The two systems occupied about 99 percent of the market by the end of 2016, while the market share of SymbianOS had dropped from 39 percent at the beginning of 2012 to only 0.01 percent by the end of 2016.
The outstanding development of the smartphone market in China is closely associated with the increasing popularity of mobile smartphone useage in the country. The majority of China’s internet users use a smartphone as their primary means of going online. According to a survey on internet use, the average daily time spent with non-voice mobile activities by adults in China had reached 98 minutes. More and more people could not live without their smartphones. When asked about the activities on their smartphones, about 33 percent of smartphone users stated that they watched online videos on their smartphones at least once a week.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7; Wikimedia/cc / TechGizmo
|Number of smartphone users worldwide||1.86bn||Details →|
|Global revenue from smartphone sales||428.9bn USD||Details →|
|Global market share of Chinese smartphone vendor Huawei||9.5%||Details →|
|Number of smartphones sold to end users worldwide||1,495.36m units||Details →|
|Subscriptions and users||Values||Statistic|
|Number of smartphone users in China||563.1m||Details →|
|Number of smartphone users in Hong Kong||5.4m||Details →|
|Number of mobile phone subscriptions in China as of March 2017||1,345||Details →|
|Number of 4G mobile subscriptions in China||770m||Details →|
|Smartphone shipments and sales||Values||Statistic|
|Total number of smartphone shipments in China||467.3m||Details →|
|Annual growth in smartphone sales volume in China||4.8%||Details →|
|Value of smartphone sales in China||133.6bn USD||Details →|
- Smartphone users in China 2013-2019, by gender+Smartphone users in China 2013-2019, by gender
Distribution of smartphone users in China by gender from 2013 to 2019*
- Smartphone users in China by age group 2013-2019+Smartphone users in China by age group 2013-2019
Distribution of smartphone users in China from 2013 to 2019, by age group
- Smartphone sales share in China until 2015, by brand origin+Smartphone sales share in China until 2015, by brand origin
Market share of smartphone sales in China from 2011 to 2015, by brand origin
- Growth of mobile and smartphone game expenditure in China until 2016+Growth of mobile and smartphone game expenditure in China until 2016
Growth of mobile game and smartphone game expenditure in China from 2010 to 2016 (compared to the previous year)
- Smartphone unit shipments in China - market share of vendors 2013-2016Smartphone unit shipments in China - market share of vendors 2013-2016
Vendors' market share of smartphone unit shipments in China from 2013 to 2016
- China: weekly box office revenue - May 15 to May 21, 2017China: weekly box office revenue - May 15 to May 21, 2017
- Global 2017 ranking of oil and gas companies based on net incomeGlobal 2017 ranking of oil and gas companies based on net income
- Leading oil and gas companies based on market cap 2017Leading oil and gas companies based on market cap 2017
- YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017
- 2017 global list of top mining companies based on revenue2017 global list of top mining companies based on revenue