Electric vehicle sales in the United States
Electric Mobility Has a Long Way to Go
If you read a lot of technology blogs or happen to live in Silicon Valley, you may be under the impression that electric vehicles are quickly becoming a thing for the masses. Well, you’re mistaken. According to data from Inside EVs, Ward’s Automotive Reports and the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, plug-in electric vehicles are still a niche phenomenon, accounting for less than one percent of light vehicle sales in the United States in 2016.
While 160,000 electric vehicles certainly pale in comparison to more than 17 million light vehicles sold in the United States last year, the upside is that plug-in EV sales still increased by 37 percent compared to 2015. However, electric mobility faces an uncertain future under Donald Trump, a declared climate change skeptic, who might well pull the plug on incentives such as the tax credit that buyers of electric vehicles currently receive.
- Electric cars - Politically desired number in selected countries worldwide 2020Electric cars - Politically desired number in selected countries worldwide 2020
- Electric cars compared to gasoline cars - Travel cost saving 2011Electric cars compared to gasoline cars - Travel cost saving 2011
- New registrations of electric cars in China 2016, by brandNew registrations of electric cars in China 2016, by brand
- Vehicle sales in China 2008-2017Vehicle sales in China 2008-2017
- Zero-emission vehicle sales by key type - United States 2012-2016Zero-emission vehicle sales by key type - United States 2012-2016
- Leading registered plug-in hybrid electric passenger cars Netherlands February 2017Leading registered plug-in hybrid electric passenger cars Netherlands February 2017
- Leading registered fully electric passenger cars in the Netherlands February 2017Leading registered fully electric passenger cars in the Netherlands February 2017
- Green car sales revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2005-2015Green car sales revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2005-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl