Electric Mobility - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about electric mobility
Dwindling stocks of raw materials, environmental issues around global warming and rapid urbanization in the developing world are among the challenges that engineers and scientists need to address to meet concerns and provide answers to questions over sustainability and the future of the planet. They have certainly begun to do so. Government agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the United States, are increasingly beginning to introduce limits on carbon dioxide emissions. Automakers are expected to be penalized if they fail to meet these standards. In 2015, Volkswagen experienced how disrespecting emerging environmental regulations may hurt brand image.
In spite of the new regulations, standards and goals in effect, opponents are right to criticize that the sources of electricity employed to power electric cars, as well as the types of materials used in car batteries are generally not taken into consideration when it comes to calculating a vehicle’s carbon footprint.
The market for electric vehicles (EVs) is still heavily subsidized. As of 2016, Norway is awarding some 20,000 U.S. dollars per electric vehicle. By 2018, the Chinese government demands that EVs make up eight percent of every brand's production. At the beginning of 2016, the global number of electric vehicles in use came to aound 1.3 million units.
Photo: istockphoto.com / henrik5000
|Manufacturers & brands||Amounts||Statistic|
|2016 U.S. all-electric vehicle sales by brand||77%||Details →|
|Best-selling all-electric car in the U.S. in 2016||Model S||Details →|
|Best-selling electric car in Europe in 2016||Renault Zoe||Details →|
|Range of Model S (Tesla)||263miles||Details →|
|2016 Tesla revenue||7bn USD||Details →|
|2016 BYD revenue||103.5bn CNY||Details →|
- Electric vehicle production forecast - selected countries 2021 +Electric vehicle production forecast - selected countries 2021
Projected electric car* production in selected countries in 2021 (in 1,000 units)
- Number of electric vehicles in the world 2012-2016+Number of electric vehicles in the world 2012-2016
Worldwide number of electric vehicles in use from 2012 to 2016 (in 1,000s)*
- Electric vehicles - global market size 2012 & 2019+Electric vehicles - global market size 2012 & 2019
Size of the global market for electric vehicles in 2012 and 2019 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Vehicle sales in China 2008-2017Vehicle sales in China 2008-2017
- World lithium reserves by country 2016World lithium reserves by country 2016
- Most valuable automotive brands worldwide by brand value 2016Most valuable automotive brands worldwide by brand value 2016
- The leading global automotive suppliers based on revenue 2015The leading global automotive suppliers based on revenue 2015
- Leading carmakers worldwide - global market share 2015Leading carmakers worldwide - global market share 2015