Premium
Premium statistics

Industry-specific and extensively researched technical data (partially from exclusive partnerships).

A paid subscription is required for full access.

Leading platforms for viewing gaming video content worldwide in 2017, by viewer reach

Exclusive Premium Statistic

Leading gaming video content platforms worldwide 2017, by viewer share The statistic presents data on the leading platforms for viewing gaming video content worldwide in 2017, broken down by share of viewers. According to the source, 16 percent of gaming video content viewers accessed those videos on Twitch in the measured period.
YouTube and Twitch gaming content – additional information

Since video gaming is a demanding form of entertainment and, more recently, at times a profession as well, it comes as no surprise that gaming videos are growing in popularity. There are several categories of gaming video content. Among the more popular ones are game trailers, walkthroughs, reviews and Let’s Plays. Let’s Play videos offer detailed recordings of game playthroughs, with supplementary commentaries and explanations provided by the gamer. Often they serve as tutorials, in addition to their entertainment aspects. The most common platforms used to find these videos are YouTube and Twitch. While the former is considered to be the leader when it comes to audience reach, Twitch leads the market based on revenues.

Studies conducted in 2015 attempted to categorize global YouTube gaming content viewers. It was found that when it comes to gender distribution, 40 percent of those who watched gaming videos on YouTube channels were women, with the remaining 60 percent being men. Age distribution data indicated that 43 percent of YouTube gaming video viewers were between the ages of 21 and 35, with only six percent aged 51 to 65 years. Overall, it was established that YouTube was more popular in the United States in 2015, where half of gamers used this platform to view online gaming content, compared to 20 percent who used Twitch for that purpose.

Out of the five studied countries, Twitch had the highest reach among gamers in Brazil, yet that was still 33 percent lower than its competitor. On a global scale, available Twitch measurements reveal that in 2014 the platform had 100 million monthly unique visitors and was projected to more than double that number in 2015. While most of those accessing Twitch do so via a computer, a growing share of users access the platform’s content on their mobile device, proving that on-the-go accessibility is as important among gamers as it is among other consumers.

Show more
Reach of viewers
--
--
--
Reach of viewers
--
--
--

Exclusive Premium statistic

You need a Premium Account for unlimited access.

  • Full access to 1.5m statistics

  • Incl. source references

  • Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format

Premium Account


only $49 / month *
*Duration: 12 months, billed annually, single license

Access to this and all other statistics on 80,000 topics from

$588 / Year

View price details

Exclusive Premium statistic

You need a Premium Account for unlimited access.

  • Full access to 1.5m statistics

  • Incl. source references

  • Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format

Premium Account


only $49 / month *
*Duration: 12 months, billed annually, single license

Access to this and all other statistics on 80,000 topics from

$588 / Year

View price details

Download Settings Share
Chart type
Datalabels
Share on Social Media
Download started
Please be patient - this may take a moment
Description Source More information
The statistic presents data on the leading platforms for viewing gaming video content worldwide in 2017, broken down by share of viewers. According to the source, 16 percent of gaming video content viewers accessed those videos on Twitch in the measured period.
YouTube and Twitch gaming content – additional information

Since video gaming is a demanding form of entertainment and, more recently, at times a profession as well, it comes as no surprise that gaming videos are growing in popularity. There are several categories of gaming video content. Among the more popular ones are game trailers, walkthroughs, reviews and Let’s Plays. Let’s Play videos offer detailed recordings of game playthroughs, with supplementary commentaries and explanations provided by the gamer. Often they serve as tutorials, in addition to their entertainment aspects. The most common platforms used to find these videos are YouTube and Twitch. While the former is considered to be the leader when it comes to audience reach, Twitch leads the market based on revenues.

Studies conducted in 2015 attempted to categorize global YouTube gaming content viewers. It was found that when it comes to gender distribution, 40 percent of those who watched gaming videos on YouTube channels were women, with the remaining 60 percent being men. Age distribution data indicated that 43 percent of YouTube gaming video viewers were between the ages of 21 and 35, with only six percent aged 51 to 65 years. Overall, it was established that YouTube was more popular in the United States in 2015, where half of gamers used this platform to view online gaming content, compared to 20 percent who used Twitch for that purpose.

Out of the five studied countries, Twitch had the highest reach among gamers in Brazil, yet that was still 33 percent lower than its competitor. On a global scale, available Twitch measurements reveal that in 2014 the platform had 100 million monthly unique visitors and was projected to more than double that number in 2015. While most of those accessing Twitch do so via a computer, a growing share of users access the platform’s content on their mobile device, proving that on-the-go accessibility is as important among gamers as it is among other consumers.

Show more
Release date
October 2017
Region
United States
Survey time period
2017
Supplementary notes
Gaming video content refers to digital videos and live streams related to all things gaming, including recorded gameplay, reviews and anything that engages the gaming community.
Revenue includes advertising, donations and subscriptions.

More information

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $588 / Year

Basic Account

Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.
This statistic is not included in your account!

Premium Account

Your perfect start with Statista

  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references

$49 / Month *

Corporate Account

Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

Send request

* All products require an annual contract.
   Prices do not include sales tax
   (New York residents only).
Leading companies trust Statista:
paypalgoogleadobepgsamsungtelekom

Related Studies: Available to Download in PDF or PPTX Format

Gaming video content worldwide
Gaming video content worldwide

All Information
in one Presentation

Gaming video content worldwide

Everything On "Gaming video content worldwide" in One Document: Edited and Divided into Handy Chapters. Including Detailed References.

Statista has been my savior on several occasions. The site is easy to maneuver and the data is in a format that can go right into a report or presentation.
Marlene Greenfield

Marlene Greenfield
Vice President, Hearst Magazines

Statistics on "Gaming video content worldwide"

  • Overview
  • Viewing habits
The most important statistics
  • Streaming and tipping
  • YouTube
  • Twitch
Need help with using Statista for your research? Tutorials and first steps

Further Content: Statistics, Studies, and Topic Pages

Statistics on the topic

Topics

About Statista

Learn more about how Statista can support your business.

Request webinar
Do you have any questions about our business solutions?

We provide you with detailed information about our Corporate Account.