U.S. Online Gaming Industry - Statistics & Facts

U.S. Online Gaming Industry - Statistics & Facts

Statistics and facts about the Online Gaming Industry in the United States

The global media and entertainment market has consistently been on the rise. The entire worldwide market is projected to grow from an estimated 1.72 trillion U.S. dollars in 2015 to 2.14 trillion U.S. dollars within five years. Gaming is an integral and ever-developing segment of this market. The two largest gaming regions, Asia Pacific and North America, are predicted to account for 78 percent of global revenues in 2017. Online gaming in particular is one of the branches that has evolved over the past decades. It includes social gaming, mobile gaming, as well as free-to-play and pay-to-play massively multiplayer gaming, otherwsie know as MMO gaming. The latter two segments combined generated revenue of roughly 19.9 billion U.S. dollars in 2016 and, judging by the data volume of global online gaming traffic alone, which is forecast to grow from 126 petabytes in 2016 to 568 petabytes in 2020, it is safe to assume online gaming is here to stay.


Industry leaders include already established video game developers such as Electronic Arts , Ubisoft, and Activision Blizzard, all of whom have recognized the opportunity presented by the rising online gaming segment. There are also major players in the market whose primary focus is social gaming. These developers include, but are not limited to, Supercell, Zynga, and King.com. In fact, as of mid-2017, each of these three developers had two games on a ranking of the ten most popular Facebook games.

Social gaming is tightly bound with mobile gaming, as the majority of social games are developed in the form of apps for iOS and Android devices. In the United States, the social app-based market largely exceeds browser-based social gaming. This trend has been apparent at least since 2010. That year, app-based gaming accounted for 70 percent of the social online market value, with the remaining 30 percent of the value attributed to browser social games. Allowing for constant growth, by 2020 those categories are expected to account for 84 percent and 16 percent of the social online gaming market, respectively.





Photo: istockphoto.com / Cybrain

Show more   

Facts on online gaming industry in the United States
Market overviewValuesStatistic
Monthly consumer online gaming traffic worldwide in 2017189 PB Details →
Monthly consumer online gaming traffic in North America in 201696 PB Details →
Digital video game sales higher than physical in the U.S. in 201674% vs 26% Details →
Digital collectible card games revenue worldwide in 20161.3bn USD Details →
Industry leadersValuesStatistic
Tencent's gaming revenue worldwide in 201610.2bn USD Details →
Digital revenue of Square Enix in FY 2017199bn JPY Details →
Zynga's online games revenue in 2016547mn USD Details →
Gameloft's sales revenue in 2016257mn EUR Details →
Online gamer profileValuesStatistic
Number of online console gamers in the U.S. in 201753.6mn Details →
Hispanic teenagers who play online games in the U.S. in 201569% Details →
Consumers over the age of 50 in the U.S who play online games in 201659% Details →
Social gamingValuesStatistic
Value of the social online games market worldwide in 201719.1bn USD Details →
Value of the social online games market in the U.S. in 20172.2bn USD Details →
Candy Crush Saga - the game with the highest number of DAU on Facebook in 201710mn Details →
MMO gamingValuesStatistic
F2P and P2P MMO games revenue in the U.S. in 20162.3bn USD Details →
Gamers playing MMO games in the U.S. in 201633% Details →
Women playing MMO games regularly in the U.S. in 201616% Details →
League of Legends - top MMO game based on global revenue in 2016582mn USD Details →
Number of Overwatch players worldwide as of April 201730mn Details →


Recommended statistics about “Online Gaming Industry”
Recommended Studies
  • The complete topic in one convenient package
  • Instant access and download
  • Great time-saver
Recent "Online Gaming Industry" Infographic
Online Gaming Industry Infographic - Big Trouble in Little FarmVille
You may also be interested in...