U.S. Bicycle Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and Facts about the U.S. Bicycle Industry
In 2015, the U.S. market for bicycles was sized at around six billion U.S. dollars. Although U.S.-based manufacturers like Trek, Specialized or Redline are popular bike brands in the United States, the majority of products are manufactured abroad: Around 99 percent of bicycles sold in the United States are imported from China and Taiwan.
Around 17.4 million units of bicycles were sold in the U.S. in 2015. Mountain bikes were the biggest sellers in 2012, with a quarter of all specialty bike sales falling into this category.
By 2016, some 152,000 units of electric bikes were expected to be sold to customers in the United States. Some 84 percent of U.S. respondents said they had never ridden an electric bicycle in their life. About 47.6 billion e-bikes are projected to be sold globally in 2018, an estimated 42.4 million of which will be sold in China alone. The rise of electric bikes compared to the overall dent in the value of the market in recent years suggests that the U.S. market is selling fewer but more expensive bikes, with the average value of imported bikes increasing by 96 percent since 2000.
Photo: sxc.hu / Idesign-er
|Estimated size of the U.S. bicycle market||6.2bn USD||Details →|
|U.S. shipments of motorcycles, bicycles and parts||6.1bn USD||Details →|
|Value of U.S. bicycle imports||480m USD||Details →|
|Percentage of U.S. bicycles sold that were imported from China and Taiwan||99%||Details →|
|Shimano's net sales||323bn JPY||Details →|
|Accell's net sales||1.05bn EUR||Details →|
|Dorel's revenue||1,000m USD||Details →|
- U.S. bicycle market size 2004-2015U.S. bicycle market size 2004-2015
Estimated size of the U.S. bicycle market* from 2004 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- E-bikes - worldwide sales by region 2016E-bikes - worldwide sales by region 2016
Worldwide sales of electric bicycles in 2016, by region (in million units)
- U.S. bicycle sales - by source country 2014U.S. bicycle sales - by source country 2014
Distribution of U.S. bicycle sales in 2014, by source country
- Motorcycle sales in China by month February 2017Motorcycle sales in China by month February 2017
- Motorcycle production in China by month February 2017Motorcycle production in China by month February 2017
- Sales volume of new bicycles in the Netherlands 2007-2016Sales volume of new bicycles in the Netherlands 2007-2016
- Country ranking bicycle production for the European Union 2015Country ranking bicycle production for the European Union 2015
- Electric power assisted cycle (EPAC) sales in the European Union 2006-2015Electric power assisted cycle (EPAC) sales in the European Union 2006-2015