U.S. Bicycle Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and Facts about the U.S. Bicycle Industry
In 2015, the U.S. market for bicycles was sized at around six billion U.S. dollars. Although U.S.-based manufacturers like Trek, Specialized or Redline are popular bike brands in the United States, the majority of products are manufactured abroad: Around 99 percent of bicycles sold in the United States are imported from China and Taiwan. Between January and April 2014, 26-inch bicycles formed the most important category of U.S. bicycle imports.
Around 17.4 million units of bicycles were sold in the U.S. in 2015. Mountain bikes were the biggest sellers in 2012, with a quarter of all specialty bike sales falling into this category. This trend can be explained by the fact that whilst bicycling has faded as a pastime in recent years, it has grown as a sport. Moreover, the gradual growth in sales of road bikes in comparison to the slow decline in sales of youth bikes suggests that bicycles are not seen anymore as being just a toy for children, and while the number of children who ride bicycles has declined more than 20 percent between 2000 and 2010, the number of frequent adult cyclists has increased by 12 percent over this time period.
By 2016, some 400,000 units of electric bikes are expected to be sold to customers in the United States. About 47.6 billion e-bikes are projected to be sold globally in 2018, an estimated 42.4 million of which will be sold in China alone. The rise of electric bikes compared to the overall dent in the value of the market in recent years suggests that the U.S. market is selling fewer but more expensive bikes, with the average value of imported bikes increasing by 96 percent since 2000.
Photo: sxc.hu / Idesign-er
|Projected worldwide sales of electric bicycles in 2023||40.3m units||Details →|
|Asia Pacific's electric bicycle sales||32.8m||Details →|
|U.S. bicycle supplies retail sales||$5.2bn||Details →|
|Number of specialty bicycle retail locations in the U.S.||4,089||Details →|
|Number of people who have been cycling within the last 12 months in the U.S.||59.67m||Details →|
|Consumer purchases of recreational transport products||$27.15bn||Details →|
- U.S. bicycle market size 2004-2015U.S. bicycle market size 2004-2015
Estimated size of the U.S. bicycle market* from 2004 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- E-bikes - worldwide sales by region 2016E-bikes - worldwide sales by region 2016
Worldwide sales of electric bicycles in 2016, by region (in million units)
- U.S. bicycle sales - by source country 2014U.S. bicycle sales - by source country 2014
Distribution of U.S. bicycle sales in 2014, by source country
- Motorcycle sales in China by month February 2017Motorcycle sales in China by month February 2017
- Motorcycle production in China by month February 2017Motorcycle production in China by month February 2017
- Online expenditure in Denmark 2016, by product category Online expenditure in Denmark 2016, by product category
- Leading iOS gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016Leading iOS gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016
- Revenue from bicycle sales in the Great Britain 2000-2015Revenue from bicycle sales in the Great Britain 2000-2015