Sporting Goods Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Sporting Goods Industry
The market for sporting goods in the United States has a projected value of almost 65 billion U.S. dollars in 2015. This figure takes into account the consumer purchases of many different product types such as athletic footwear, exercise equipment, licensed sports merchandise athletic apparel but does not include recreational transportation items such as bicycles, pleasure boats, RVs and snowmobiles.
One of the main sales channels for sporting goods in the U.S. is handled by sporting goods stores like Dick’s Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shop, Cabela’s or The Sports Authority. In total, sporting goods stores sales in the U.S. exceeded 46 billion U.S. dollars in 2015. One of the most popular sporting goods retailers is Dick's Sporting Goods as more than 20 percent of respondents in a recent Statista survey said that they purchase sports apparel, sports shoes and sports equipment or gear there. The biggest sporting goods retailer in terms of revenue, however, is Walmart, with 9.8 billion U.S. dollars in revenue from sporting goods sales in 2015. Around 107 million people shopped for sporting goods at a sporting goods store in 2016 according to Scarborough Research.
Scarborough also reports that in 2016, almost 95 million people in the U.S. bought athletic shoes. The average selling price for athletic footwear stood at around 61 U.S. dollars in 2016. The leading companies in the footwear segment are Nike and Adidas with revenues of 19.9 and 10.7 billion U.S. dollars respectively in 2016.
Nike and Adidas are also the leading sporting goods manufacturers worldwide in terms of revenue. Other major sporting goods manufacturers with at least 1.5 billion U.S. dollars in revenue are VF Corp., Puma, Asics, Jarden, New Balance, Amer Sports and Under Armour.
Photo: istockphoto.com / picsfive, anthiacumming, andreypopov
|Most valuable sports business brand - Nike||27bn USD||Details →|
|Brand value of Under Armour||6.7bn USD||Details →|
|U.S. sporting goods store sales||46.35bn USD||Details →|
|U.S. e-commerce sales of sporting goods||11.68bn USD||Details →|
|Athletic apparel wholesale sales in the U.S.||34.4bn USD||Details →|
|Sporting goods / sportswear companies revenue ranking (Nike)||30.6bn USD||Details →|
|Sporting goods industry wholesale sales in the U.S.||90bn USD||Details →|
|U.S. sports exercise equipment wholesale sales||5.12bn USD||Details →|
|Athletic footwear wholesale sales in the U.S.||15bn USD||Details →|
|Sports apparel wholesale sales in the U.S.||34.4bn USD||Details →|
- Sporting goods: consumer purchases in the U.S. 2015Sporting goods: consumer purchases in the U.S. 2015
Consumer purchases of sporting goods in the U.S. from 2002 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Wholesale sales of U.S. sports product industry in the U.S. 2008-2015Wholesale sales of U.S. sports product industry in the U.S. 2008-2015
Manufacturers (wholesale) sales sports products industry* in the U.S. from 2008 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Sportswear & sporting goods companies by worldwide revenue 2015+Sportswear & sporting goods companies by worldwide revenue 2015
Sportswear / Sporting goods companies ranked by worldwide revenue in 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Most valuable sports business companies worldwide 2016Most valuable sports business companies worldwide 2016
Most valuable sports business brands worldwide in 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Sports apparel brands that consumers in the U.S. like 2016+Sports apparel brands that consumers in the U.S. like 2016
Which of these sports apparel brands do you like?*
- Sports shoe brands that consumers in the U.S. like 2016+Sports shoe brands that consumers in the U.S. like 2016
Which of these sports shoe brands do you like?*
- Point of purchase for sports and fitness accessories in the U.S. 2016+Point of purchase for sports and fitness accessories in the U.S. 2016
Where do you preferably purchase sports and fitness accessories?
- The adidas Group's global footwear production from 2008-2016The adidas Group's global footwear production from 2008-2016
- The adidas Group's net sales worldwide 2000-2016The adidas Group's net sales worldwide 2000-2016
- Net sales of the Reebok brand worldwide 2006-2016Net sales of the Reebok brand worldwide 2006-2016
- Number of employees of the adidas Group worldwide 2000-2016Number of employees of the adidas Group worldwide 2000-2016
- Number of retail stores of the adidas Group worldwide 2008-2016, by store typeNumber of retail stores of the adidas Group worldwide 2008-2016, by store type