Sporting Goods Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Sporting Goods Industry
The market for sporting goods in the United States has a projected value of almost 65 billion U.S. dollars in 2015. This figure takes into account the consumer purchases of many different product types such as athletic footwear, exercise equipment, licensed sports merchandise athletic apparel but does not include recreational transportation items such as bicycles, pleasure boats, RVs and snowmobiles. The recreational transport and the equipment category accounts for 25 to 30 billion U.S. dollars in consumer purchases.
Around one quarter of sporting goods equipment sales in the U.S. is handled by sporting goods stores like Dick’s Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shop, Cabela’s or The Sports Authority. In total, sporting goods stores sales in the U.S. exceeded 44.6 billion U.S. dollars in 2014. One of the most popular sporting goods retailers is Dick's Sporting Goods as almost 45 percent of respondents in a recent Statista survey said that they purchase sports apparel, sports shoes and sports equipment or gear there.
The biggest sporting goods retailer in terms of revenue, however, is Walmart, with 9.6 billion U.S. dollars in revenue from sporting goods sales in 2014. About 14 percent of sporting goods equipment is sold through online channels / over the internet; the distribution channel with the highest growth in market share. Despite the growth in online sales, around 105 million people shopped for sporting goods at a sporting goods store in 2015 according to Scarborough Research.
Scarborough also reports that in 2015, almost 93 million people in the U.S. bought athletic shoes. About 20 percent of the total footwear sales in the U.S., which amounted to an estimated total of 21 billion U.S. dollars in 2015, are attributable to sporting goods stores. Running and jogging shoes, for example, sold for an average amount of 68 U.S. dollars at the retail level. The leading companies in the footwear segment are Nike and Adidas with revenues of 18.3 and 9.1 billion U.S. dollars respectively in 2015.
Nike and Adidas are also the market leaders amongst sporting goods manufacturers with about 30.6 and 18.5 billion U.S. dollars in worldwide revenue respectively. Other major sporting goods manufacturers with at least 1.5 billion U.S. dollars in revenue are VF Corp., Puma, Asics, Jarden, New Balance, Amer Sports and Under Armour.
Photo: istockphoto.com / picsfive, anthiacumming, andreypopov
|Consumer purchases of sporting goods in the U.S.||$63.64bn||Details →|
|Revenue of Nike||$30.6bn||Details →|
|Sporting goods store sales in the U.S.||$44.63bn||Details →|
|U.S. e-commerce sales of sporting goods||$9,425m||Details →|
|Athletic apparel wholesale sales in the U.S.||$32.78bn||Details →|
|Retail & Athletic Footwear Market||Values||Statistic|
|Walmart is leading sporting goods, footwear, apparel retailer in U.S. (revenue)||$9.8bn||Details →|
|Revenue of Nike’s footwear segment||$18.32bn||Details →|
|Average retail price of jogging/running shoes in U.S.||$67.94||Details →|
|Consumer Purchases & Prices of Selected Goods||Values||Statistic|
|Consumer purchases of sports footwear in the U.S.||$21.17bn||Details →|
|Consumer purchases of sports clothing in the U.S.||$14.1bn||Details →|
|Average price of motorized treadmills in the U.S.||$700.56||Details →|
- Sporting goods: consumer purchases in the U.S. 2015Sporting goods: consumer purchases in the U.S. 2015
Consumer purchases of sporting goods in the U.S. from 2002 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Wholesale sales of U.S. sports product industry in the U.S. 2008-2015Wholesale sales of U.S. sports product industry in the U.S. 2008-2015
Manufacturers (wholesale) sales sports products industry* in the U.S. from 2008 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Sportswear & sporting goods companies by worldwide revenue 2015+Sportswear & sporting goods companies by worldwide revenue 2015
Sportswear / Sporting goods companies ranked by worldwide revenue in 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Revenue of the leading U.S. sporting goods, footwear and apparel retailers 2015Revenue of the leading U.S. sporting goods, footwear and apparel retailers 2015
- adidas Group - revenue by regionadidas Group - revenue by region
- Nike's footwear sectors net revenue 2009-2016, by regionNike's footwear sectors net revenue 2009-2016, by region
- Nike's revenue worldwide 2005-2016Nike's revenue worldwide 2005-2016
- Nike's net income worldwide 2005-2016Nike's net income worldwide 2005-2016