Sporting Goods Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Sporting Goods Industry
The market for sporting goods in the United States has a projected value of almost 65 billion U.S. dollars in 2015. This figure takes into account the consumer purchases of many different product types such as athletic footwear, exercise equipment, licensed sports merchandise athletic apparel but does not include recreational transportation items such as bicycles, pleasure boats, RVs and snowmobiles. The recreational transport and the equipment category accounts for 25 to 30 billion U.S. dollars in consumer purchases.
Around one quarter of sporting goods equipment sales in the U.S. is handled by sporting goods stores like Dick’s Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shop, Cabela’s or The Sports Authority. In total, sporting goods stores sales in the U.S. exceeded 44.6 billion U.S. dollars in 2014. One of the most popular sporting goods retailers is Dick's Sporting Goods as almost 45 percent of respondents in a recent Statista survey said that they purchase sports apparel, sports shoes and sports equipment or gear there.
The biggest sporting goods retailer in terms of revenue, however, is Walmart, with 9.6 billion U.S. dollars in revenue from sporting goods sales in 2014. About 14 percent of sporting goods equipment is sold through online channels / over the internet; the distribution channel with the highest growth in market share. Despite the growth in online sales, around 105 million people shopped for sporting goods at a sporting goods store in 2015 according to Scarborough Research.
Scarborough also reports that in 2015, almost 93 million people in the U.S. bought athletic shoes. About 20 percent of the total footwear sales in the U.S., which amounted to an estimated total of 21 billion U.S. dollars in 2015, are attributable to sporting goods stores. Running and jogging shoes, for example, sold for an average amount of 68 U.S. dollars at the retail level. The leading companies in the footwear segment are Nike and Adidas with revenues of 18.3 and 9.1 billion U.S. dollars respectively in 2015.
Nike and Adidas are also the market leaders amongst sporting goods manufacturers with about 30.6 and 18.5 billion U.S. dollars in worldwide revenue respectively. Other major sporting goods manufacturers with at least 1.5 billion U.S. dollars in revenue are VF Corp., Puma, Asics, Jarden, New Balance, Amer Sports and Under Armour.
Photo: istockphoto.com / picsfive, anthiacumming, andreypopov
|Most valuable sports business brand - Nike||27bn USD||Details →|
|Brand value of Under Armour||6.7bn USD||Details →|
|U.S. sporting goods store sales||46.35bn USD||Details →|
|U.S. e-commerce sales of sporting goods||11.68bn USD||Details →|
|Athletic apparel wholesale sales in the U.S.||34.4bn USD||Details →|
|Sporting goods / sportswear companies revenue ranking (Nike)||30.6bn USD||Details →|
|Sporting goods industry wholesale sales in the U.S.||90bn USD||Details →|
|U.S. sports exercise equipment wholesale sales||5.12bn USD||Details →|
|Athletic footwear wholesale sales in the U.S.||15bn USD||Details →|
|Sports apparel wholesale sales in the U.S.||34.4bn USD||Details →|
- Sporting goods: consumer purchases in the U.S. 2015Sporting goods: consumer purchases in the U.S. 2015
Consumer purchases of sporting goods in the U.S. from 2002 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Wholesale sales of U.S. sports product industry in the U.S. 2008-2015Wholesale sales of U.S. sports product industry in the U.S. 2008-2015
Manufacturers (wholesale) sales sports products industry* in the U.S. from 2008 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Sportswear & sporting goods companies by worldwide revenue 2015+Sportswear & sporting goods companies by worldwide revenue 2015
Sportswear / Sporting goods companies ranked by worldwide revenue in 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- The adidas Group's global footwear production from 2008-2016The adidas Group's global footwear production from 2008-2016
- The adidas Group's net sales worldwide 2000-2016The adidas Group's net sales worldwide 2000-2016
- Net sales of the Reebok brand worldwide 2006-2016Net sales of the Reebok brand worldwide 2006-2016
- Number of employees of the adidas Group worldwide 2000-2016Number of employees of the adidas Group worldwide 2000-2016
- Number of retail stores of the adidas Group worldwide 2008-2016, by store typeNumber of retail stores of the adidas Group worldwide 2008-2016, by store type