Health & Fitness Clubs - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Health & Fitness Clubs
Health and fitness clubs provide their customers with the infrastructure for their workouts and physical activity in exchange for a membership fee. The global fitness and health club industry generates more than 80 billion U.S. dollars in revenue per year.
The North American market (United States & Canada) had an estimated size of more than 28 billion U.S. dollars in 2015, of which 90 percent, around 25.8 billion U.S. dollars, was attributable to the United States. The U.S. is the single biggest market worldwide not only in terms of revenue but in regards to the number of members in health & fitness clubs as well.
The global market is fragmented with no particular chain taking a large share of the worldwide market. Market leaders are rather limited to more local (countries, geographical region) ranks. Amongst the health & fitness club companies with revenues in excess of one billion U.S. dollars in 2014 are Life Time Fitness and Virgin Active.
In 2015, a total of more than 186 thousand fitness & health clubs were in operation worldwide, of which about 36 thousand are located in the United States. These clubs in the U.S. had about 55 million members. Globally more than 150 million people were members of a health/fitness club.
The personal goals of health club members depend in some part on their age. More than 90 percent of health club members that are at least 66 years of age, for example, say that they train at a fitness center because they “need to stay healthy”, only about 47 percent of 16-to-20-year-olds cite this reason. The price of membership is the main reason why people either don’t join a health club at all (55.8%) or why they quit their membership (52.2%).
Photo: sxc.hu / atroszko
|Global Health & Fitness Market||Values||Statistic|
|Market size of global health club industry||$81.2bn||Details →|
|Revenue of Planet Fitness||$1,500m||Details →|
|Number of health and fitness clubs worldwide||186,850||Details →|
|Number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide||151.47m||Details →|
|Fitness & Health Clubs in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Health club industry revenue in the U.S.||$25.8bn||Details →|
|Number of health and fitness clubs in the U.S.||36,180||Details →|
|Number of members at health and fitness clubs in the U.S.||55m||Details →|
|Fitness & Exercise Equipment||Values||Statistic|
|Wholesale sales of sports exercise equipment in the U.S.||$5.12bn||Details →|
|Average retail price of stationary exercise bicycles in the U.S.||$299.66||Details →|
- Health club industry: Worldwide revenue by region 2015+Health club industry: Worldwide revenue by region 2015
Worldwide health club industry revenue by region from 2009 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Health clubs - total number by region worldwide 2009-2015+Health clubs - total number by region worldwide 2009-2015
Total number of health clubs worldwide by region 2009 to 2015*
- Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2015, by region+Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2015, by region
Number of members in health and fitness clubs worldwide by region from 2009 to 2015 (in millions)*
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Health club industry: Worldwide revenue by region 2015Health club industry: Worldwide revenue by region 2015
- Health clubs - total number by region worldwide 2009-2015Health clubs - total number by region worldwide 2009-2015
- Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2015, by regionTotal number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2015, by region
- Total revenue of the global health club industry 2009-2015Total revenue of the global health club industry 2009-2015
- Number of fitness and health clubs worldwide 2009-2015Number of fitness and health clubs worldwide 2009-2015