Health & Fitness Clubs - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Health & Fitness Clubs
Health and fitness clubs provide their customers with the infrastructure for their workouts and physical activity in exchange for a membership fee. The global fitness and health club industry generates more than 80 billion U.S. dollars in revenue per year. The North American market had an estimated size of more than 28 billion U.S. dollars in 2015, of which 90 percent, around 25.8 billion U.S. dollars, was attributable to the United States. The U.S. is the single biggest market worldwide not only in terms of revenue but in regards to the number of members in health & fitness clubs as well.
The global market is fragmented with no particular chain taking a large share of the worldwide market. Market leaders are rather limited to more local (countries, geographical region) ranks. Amongst the health & fitness club companies with revenues in excess of one billion U.S. dollars in 2015 are Planet Fitness, Anytime Fitness and ClubCorp. In 2015, a total of more than 186 thousand fitness & health clubs were in operation worldwide, of which about 36 thousand are located in the United States. These clubs in the U.S. had about 55 million members. Globally more than 150 million people were members of a health/fitness club.
About 25 percent of people in the United States, who work out at least once a month, say that exercise, workout or sports in general is part of their daily routine according to a Statista survey. Almost two thirds of people who regularly exercise are, or have been at some point, a member health club or gym. The main reasons for exercising are - to stay healthy, weight reduction, optimizing strength and/or endurance and to get a better looking body and improving overall appearance.
Photo: sxc.hu / atroszko
|Global market size||Values||Statistic|
|Market size of global health club industry||81.2bn USD||Details →|
|Number of health and fitness clubs worldwide||187k||Details →|
|Number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide||151.47m||Details →|
|Revenue of Planet Fitness||1.5bn USD||Details →|
|Number of Anytime Fitness facilities worldwide||3,055||Details →|
- Number of U.S. health clubs & fitness centers 2000-2015+Number of U.S. health clubs & fitness centers 2000-2015
Number of health clubs & fitness centers* in the U.S. from 2008 to 2015
- Health & fitness club companies by revenue worldwide 2015+Health & fitness club companies by revenue worldwide 2015
Health club industry companies worldwide by revenue in 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Health club industry: Worldwide revenue by region 2015+Health club industry: Worldwide revenue by region 2015
Worldwide health club industry revenue by region from 2009 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Health clubs - total number by region worldwide 2009-2015+Health clubs - total number by region worldwide 2009-2015
Total number of health clubs worldwide by region 2009 to 2015*
- Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2015, by region+Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2015, by region
Number of members in health and fitness clubs worldwide by region from 2009 to 2015 (in millions)*
- Market share of gym, health & fitness club companies in the U.S. 2016+Market share of gym, health & fitness club companies in the U.S. 2016
Market share of major fitness, health and gym club companies in the United States in 2016
- Gym, health & fitness club industry employment in the United States 2007-2021+Gym, health & fitness club industry employment in the United States 2007-2021
Employment in the fitness, health and gym club industry in the United States from 2007 to 2021
- Where people in the U.S. exercise, work out or do sports 2016+Where people in the U.S. exercise, work out or do sports 2016
Where do you normally exercise, work out or do sports?
- Fitness clubs, gyms people in the U.S. know, at least by name 2016+Fitness clubs, gyms people in the U.S. know, at least by name 2016
Which of the following gyms do you know, at least by name?
- Why people in the U.S. work out at their gym 2016+Why people in the U.S. work out at their gym 2016
Why do/did you work out at your gym?
- Health club industry: Worldwide revenue by region 2015Health club industry: Worldwide revenue by region 2015
- Health clubs - total number by region worldwide 2009-2015Health clubs - total number by region worldwide 2009-2015
- Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2015, by regionTotal number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2009-2015, by region
- Total revenue of the global health club industry 2009-2015Total revenue of the global health club industry 2009-2015
- Number of fitness and health clubs worldwide 2009-2015Number of fitness and health clubs worldwide 2009-2015