Eating out behavior in the U.S. - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on eating out behavior in the U.S.
In 2015, food and drink sales in the United States restaurant industry reached 745.61 billion U.S. dollars. This is unsurprising considering almost 19 million people reported visiting a full service restaurant and over 46.5 million people reported visiting a quick service restaurant in the spring of 2015.
Warm weather appears to be influential in U.S. diners' decision to visit a restaurant, with almost half reporting that they most frequently eat out during summer. When choosing a restaurant, food quality and cleanliness were the leading attributes for people choosing a limited service, casual dining and family dining restaurant, with at least 80 percent of respondents stating these factors were essential or very important in 2014.
When it came to the type of food they were eating, American’s favorite ethic food was Italian in 2015, with 61 percent of people eating it at least once a month. The least popular cuisine was Ethiopian with only two percent of people eating such food a few times a year. In terms of selecting healthy meals when eating out, U.S. diners considered the option of dishes with local and fresh ingredients to be the most important factor, followed by restaurants providing low-calorie options and nutritional information on the menu.
Picture: photodune.net / viperagp
|Frequency of Visits||Values||Statistic|
|Americans who visit quick service restaurants once a week||28.2%||Details →|
|Americans who visit casual dining restaurants once a week||34%||Details →|
|In casual dining restaurants, dinner is most popular meal||74.1%||Details →|
|American cuisine is most popular in restaurants||31%||Details →|
|U.S. restaurants industry food and drink sales||$782.67bn||Details →|
|Consumer spending in the U.S. quick service restaurant sector||$273.0bn||Details →|
|Average eater check in fine dining restaurants in the U.S.||$28.55||Details →|
- Preferred desserts of U.S. consumers 2015Preferred desserts of U.S. consumers 2015
Share of U.S. consumers by desserts they would order at a restaurant as of October 2015
- Most successful daypart in full-service restaurants in the U.S. 2015, by type+Most successful daypart in full-service restaurants in the U.S. 2015, by type
Most successful daypart in full-service restaurants in the United States as of December 2015, by restaurant type
- Willingness to pay more for restaurant menu items to raise employee pay U.S. 2016+Willingness to pay more for restaurant menu items to raise employee pay U.S. 2016
Are you willing to pay more for restaurant menu items to help workers receive higher wages?
- Leading restaurant menu attributes for Hispanics in the U.S., 2015, by language Leading restaurant menu attributes for Hispanics in the U.S., 2015, by language
What is the most important in deciding which foodservice establishment to visit?
- U.S. smartphone activities carried out while dining at a restaurant 2016+U.S. smartphone activities carried out while dining at a restaurant 2016
Which of the following dining related activities have you done on your smartphone?
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Number of restaurants in the U.S. 2011-2016Number of restaurants in the U.S. 2011-2016
- Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2016Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2016
- Leading casino companies worldwide in 2015, by revenueLeading casino companies worldwide in 2015, by revenue
- Quick service restaurant chains ranked by revenue worldwide in 2015Quick service restaurant chains ranked by revenue worldwide in 2015
- Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015