Eating out behavior in the U.S. - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on eating out behavior in the U.S.
In 2013, food and drink sales in the United States restaurant industry reached 659.31 billion U.S. dollars. This is unsurprising considering almost 83 percent of U.S. consumers visited quick service restaurants and just over 68 percent visited casual dining restaurants at least once a week in 2013. Such frequency of visits means plenty of consumer spending.
The average eater check in 2013 was 13.75 U.S. dollars in casual dining restaurants and 5.32 U.S. dollars in quick service restaurants. When it came to fine dining the average check was much higher at 28.55 U.S. dollars. The price of a meal is important to U.S. diners: 84 percent stated that it was an important factor in their restaurant experience, ranking it third after food taste and order accuracy. However, when choosing a new restaurant to visit, consumers were influenced the most by recommendations from family and friends.
When dining out, the majority of U.S. consumers chose quick service and fast casual restaurants for lunch in 2013. For dinner, over 74 percent ate most frequently at casual dining restaurants. When it came to the type of food they were eating, Americans were happy to stick to their own as their most popular choice of cuisine was American. The least popular cuisine for both 2012 and 2013 was French.
Picture: photodune.net / viperagp
|Frequency of Visits||Values||Statistic|
|Americans who visit quick service restaurants once a week||28.2%||Details →|
|Americans who visit casual dining restaurants once a week||34%||Details →|
|In casual dining restaurants, dinner is most popular meal||74.1%||Details →|
|American cuisine is most popular in restaurants||31%||Details →|
|U.S. restaurants industry food and drink sales||$782.67bn||Details →|
|Consumer spending in the U.S. quick service restaurant sector||$273.0bn||Details →|
|Average eater check in fine dining restaurants in the U.S.||$28.55||Details →|
- Preferred desserts of U.S. consumers 2015Preferred desserts of U.S. consumers 2015
Share of U.S. consumers by desserts they would order at a restaurant
- Frequency of visits to fast casual restaurants in the U.S. as of November 2013+Frequency of visits to fast casual restaurants in the U.S. as of November 2013
How frequently do you visit fast casual restaurants?
- Average spend per person in U.S. restaurants as of Novermber 2013, by restaurant type+Average spend per person in U.S. restaurants as of Novermber 2013, by restaurant type
On an average (per person), how much do you spend per visit at the following restaurant formats?
- Restaurant dining preferences of U.S. teens as of February 2014+Restaurant dining preferences of U.S. teens as of February 2014
Restaurant dining preferences of teens in the United States as of February 2014
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2016Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2016
- Leading casino companies worldwide in 2015, by revenueLeading casino companies worldwide in 2015, by revenue
- Quick service restaurant chains ranked by revenue worldwide in 2015Quick service restaurant chains ranked by revenue worldwide in 2015
- Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015
- Most valuable fast food brands worldwide in 2016Most valuable fast food brands worldwide in 2016