Global Business Travel Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the global business travel industry
Travel and tourism is a huge industry, contributing more than 10 trillion U.S. dollars to the global economy in 2015. Business travel is a large part of this industry, making a total global economic contribution of 1.11 trillion U.S. dollars during the same year. Business travel managers from many countries expect business travel to increase in the coming years, suggesting the industry could make a much larger economic impact than it has previously. Spending was forecasted to grow by nearly seven percent in 2016.
The countries spending the most on business travel include the United States and China. The Chinese business travel market looks set to remain a leader - the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) forecasted double-figure growth in spending annually between 2013 and 2017, increasing by 11.5 percent in 2017. India’s business travel market was also expected to see significant growth during those years.
As with leisure travelers, business travelers are subject to expenses whilst traveling. These expenses often include airfares, hotel costs and food costs. Unlike leisure travelers, however, business travelers are rarely expected to pay for their trips and it is usually the traveler’s company that foots the bill. Business travelers expected global airfare costs to rise by around 2.5 percent in 2017, with Eastern Europe and North America awaiting the largest increases.
Picture: freeimages.com / Kolobsek, barunpatro
- Most expensive cities for business travel worldwide 2015, by cost per day+Most expensive cities for business travel worldwide 2015, by cost per day
Most expensive cities for business travel worldwide in 2015, by cost per day (in U.S. dollars)*
- Number of association meetings in selected countries worldwide 2013-2015+Number of association meetings in selected countries worldwide 2013-2015
Number of association meetings in selected countries worldwide from 2013 to 2015*
- Global business travel spending growth forecast 2015-2019Global business travel spending growth forecast 2015-2019
Global business travel spending growth forecast from 2015 to 2019
- Number of business trips taken per travelers worldwide 2014, by travel type+Number of business trips taken per travelers worldwide 2014, by travel type
Number of domestic and international business trips taken per traveler worldwide in 2014
- Global business travel spending 2015-2020+Global business travel spending 2015-2020
Global business travel spending in 2015, 2016 and 2020 (in trillion U.S. dollars)
- Global international tourism revenue 2000-2015Global international tourism revenue 2000-2015
- Domestic and international travel expenditures in the U.S. 2000-2015Domestic and international travel expenditures in the U.S. 2000-2015
- Global business travel spending 2015-2020Global business travel spending 2015-2020
- Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2015Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2015
- Contribution of travel and tourism to GDP in Canada 2009-2026Contribution of travel and tourism to GDP in Canada 2009-2026