Japan - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Japan
Japan is an East Asian state consisting of numerous islands in the Pacific Ocean. It is well-known for its traditional and contemporary culture, foods and arts. Its main islands are Hokkaido, Shikoku, Honshu and Kyushu.
Even though Japan’s population growth has shown a negative trend during recent years, its population figures are remarkably high. Its fertility rate, i.e. the number of children born per woman on average, seems quite stable and has been slightly increasing over the last few years.
More and more Japanese have been moving to the cities over the last decade; today, more than 90 percent live in urban areas and metropolises. Only a tiny share of Japan’s GDP is thus generated in the agricultural sector, the vast majority of the Japanese workforce is employed in the services sector, which typically includes tourism, sales and teaching, among other professions - most of which are available in the cities. Japan’s unemployment rate decreased in 2015 but is estimated to recover in the years to come.
Japan’s main trade partners are China and the United States. The country imports mainly machinery, beef and fossil fuels. Since it is considered an innovative force in consumer electronics and technology, Japan exports mainly goods of this category. Additionally, Japan is one of the leading fishing nations in the world, and recently came under scrutiny for its whale and dolphin hunting.
Picture: istockphoto.com / GA161076
- Trade balance of Japan 2015Trade balance of Japan 2015
Japan: Trade balance from 2005 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Export of goods from Japan 2015Export of goods from Japan 2015
Japan: Export of goods from 2005 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Highest tax rate in Japan 2016+Highest tax rate in Japan 2016
Japan: Highest tax rate from 2006 to 2016
- Distribution of gross domestic product (GDP) across economic sectors in Japan 2014Distribution of gross domestic product (GDP) across economic sectors in Japan 2014
Japan: Distribution of gross domestic product (GDP) across economic sectors from 2003 to 2014
- Economic sector distribution of the workforce in Japan 2013Economic sector distribution of the workforce in Japan 2013
Japan: Distribution of the workforce across economic sectors from 2003 to 2013
- Per capita meat consumption in Japan 2011+Per capita meat consumption in Japan 2011
Annual per capita meat consumption in Japan from 2001 to 2011 (in kilogram per capita)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2017Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2017
- U.S. retail prices of diesel fuel monthly 2015-2016U.S. retail prices of diesel fuel monthly 2015-2016
- Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) in China by month December 2016Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) in China by month December 2016
- Leading telecommunication operators worldwide based on revenue 2015Leading telecommunication operators worldwide based on revenue 2015
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month November 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month November 2016