China - Statistics & Facts
China: statistics and market data
The People’s Republic of China (PRC) is located in East Asia, governed by the Communist party in the capital of Beijing. It has jurisdiction over 22 provinces, five autonomous regions, four municipalities, as well as Hong Kong and Macau. Mandarin Chinese is its official language, one of the most spoken languages in the world.
The PRC has the largest population in the world. In an attempt to maintain a population of about 1.2 billion, the government has established a controversial one-child policy in 2000. Despite surpassing this target, China’s population growth rate has decreased significantly. Critics maintain that an underlying reason this policy was established was in attempts to increase China’s per capita gross domestic product (GDP). Since the introduction of capitalist market principles, China’s economy has seen a rise in its share of the global GDP. However, when compared to most developed nations, economic emphasis on the industrial sector is rather strong in China.
China is one of the largest producers and consumers of agricultural goods in the world. China feeds a large portion of the world with its products such as dairy products. However, it lacks arable land despite being one of the largest countries in the world. To reach these levels of production, heavily industrialized forms of agricultural production were in use, generating a large share of the country’s greenhouse gas emissions. Urbanization in China has also indirectly led to an increase in greenhouse gas emissions. Urbanization and economic growth in the country has increased consumer desire for certain goods such as automobiles.
The mining and energy sector in China is growing parallel to the country's energy demand. Some of the top mining companies in the world are based in China. The vast country contains large reserves of many energy and mineral resources, although many of these reserves are found in areas away from the industrial centers of the country. The PRC has been placed under scrutiny due to its high levels of development and its heavy impact on the environment.
China is the largest global exporter and importer of goods. It has established itself as the primary trade partner of many countries worldwide.Consumer goods made in China represent a large share of the country’s exports. However, the PRC intends to reduce heavy reliance on exports and focus on domestic consumption of its manufactured goods. Despite having one of the largest GDPs in the world, China has acknowledged that the emphasis on gross output has inhibited growth and innovation.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7
|China's total population||1,401.81m||Details →|
|Population growth in China||0.49%||Details →|
|Fertility rate in China||1.66||Details →|
|Life expectancy in China||75.2yr||Details →|
|Gross domestic product in China||$14,839.24bn||Details →|
|China's share of global GDP||18.48%||Details →|
|China's GDP per capita||$7,989.72||Details →|
|U.S. share of total Chinese exports||18%||Details →|
|Revenue of China Petroleum & Chemical||€219bn||Details →|
- Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in China 2010-2021Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in China 2010-2021
China: growth rate of real gross domestic product (GDP) from 2010 to 2021
- Export of goods from China 2015Export of goods from China 2015
China: export of goods from 2005 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Total population of China 2001-2021Total population of China 2001-2021
China: population from 2001 to 2021 (in millions)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Worldwide weekend box office revenue - September 16 to 18, 2016Worldwide weekend box office revenue - September 16 to 18, 2016
- Monthly inflation rate in industrial and emerging markets 2016Monthly inflation rate in industrial and emerging markets 2016
- Monthly unemployment rate in industrial and emerging countries July 2016Monthly unemployment rate in industrial and emerging countries July 2016
- United States - monthly inflation rate in August 2016United States - monthly inflation rate in August 2016
- Yield on ten-year government bonds of selected countries 2016Yield on ten-year government bonds of selected countries 2016