WhatsApp Reaches 300 Million Active Users
Mobile messaging startup WhatsApp continues to stand strong in the face of competition from some of the largest players in the communications industry. The smartphone messaging service just passed 300 million active users, up from 250 million less than two months ago. This achievement is all the more impressive considering the big names WhatsApp is competing with: Facebook, Skype and Apple, just to name a few.
Maybe it's part of WhatsApp's success that it doesn't have a big player behind it, but it might as well be the app's simple (some say ugly) design and its cross-platform functionality that makes it so appealing to its audience. Especially younger smartphone users have quickly adopted the service as a cheap alternative to texting.
The service currently handles the impressive number of 11 billion sent messages per day. This equals 20 billion received messages because some message are sent to multiple recipients in Whatsapp's immensely popular group chats. The service also sees 325 million photo uploads every day, putting it far beyond the number of dedicated photo sharing services such as Instagram (45m photos per day).
- Number of mobile instant messaging apps used per week by French users 2014Number of mobile instant messaging apps used per week by French users 2014
- Mobile instant messaging frequency in Spain 2014Mobile instant messaging frequency in Spain 2014
- Mobile messaging preference reasons of UK WhatsApp users 2013Mobile messaging preference reasons of UK WhatsApp users 2013
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2016Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2016
- Social media penetration in the Netherlands 2016, by social networkSocial media penetration in the Netherlands 2016, by social network
- Most effective marketing channels/strategies worldwide 2014Most effective marketing channels/strategies worldwide 2014
- Most popular Asia-based mobile messenger apps 2016Most popular Asia-based mobile messenger apps 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl