Mobile messenger apps - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about mobile messenger app usage
As of 2015, 75 percent of internet users worldwide had accessed messaging services on mobile devices. Fuelled by mobile internet and smartphone growth, mobile messaging apps have become a strong force in the mobile app sector, offering users an alternative to SMS-based texting paired with social media elements and enhanced features such as group chats and photo sharing. Some messaging services such as Skype had already existed previously on desktop, some like Facebook Messenger are based on pre-existing social networks and others such as WhatsApp are mobile-based.
With over 800 million monthly active users, WhatsApp is the most popular mobile messaging app worldwide. Facebook Messenger is ranked second with 700 million MAU, followed by Chinese services QQ Mobile and WeChat.
Due to the strong social aspect of mobile messengers, the average retention rate of messaging apps is approximately double the rate of all other mobile apps – throughout the first year of usage, messaging apps have had a consistent retention rate of over sixty percent. Recent research data reveals that the majority of U.S. internet users accessed messaging apps on a daily basis, with WhatsApp being the messenger app with the highest engagement rate. Younger generations prefer Facebook Messenger: a third of Millennial internet users worldwide used the messenger app and 37 percent of teenagers in the United States did the same. Facebook Messenger’s popularity can be traced back to the ubiquity of its parent company Facebook – as of June 2015, the social network had close to 1.5 billion monthly active users worldwide.
According to a spring 2015 survey, 36 percent of smartphone owners in the United States used mobile messaging apps. The majority of U.S. chat app users are young, college-educated and living in urban areas.
Mobile messaging apps are blurring the lines between messaging and mobile social networks. Photo-sharing apps Instagram and Snapchat are no pure messaging platforms yet due to their private messaging functions and the increasing appeal of social content sharing, many younger users actually prefer these networks to standard messaging apps. As of July 2014, Snapchat users sent a total of 700 million photo messages every day.
Several apps such as LINE or Kakaotalk have successfully launched mobile gaming platforms. According to company reports, Daum Kakao’s gaming revenue amounted to 53.98 billion Korean Won in the second quarter of 2015. LINE has also seen success with mobile digital sticker sales.
Picture: WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Skype
|Forecasted mobile message traffic worldwide for 2017||28.2tn||Details →|
|Number of monthly active WeChat users||762m||Details →|
|Number of photo messages sent by Snapchat users every day||150m||Details →|
|Number of monthly active WhatsApp users worldwide||1bn||Details →|
|Daily mobile message volume of WhatsApp messenger||64bn||Details →|
|Daily photo message volume of WhatsApp worldwide||1.6bn||Details →|
|LINE and Kakaotalk||Values||Statistic|
|Number of LINE app’s registered users||560m||Details →|
|Number of registered LINE app users in Japan||54m||Details →|
|LINE Corporation’s quarterly app revenue||JP¥30bn||Details →|
|Number of Kakao Talk’s registered users||152m||Details →|
|Kakaotalk’s annual revenue||$203m||Details →|
- Most popular Asia-based mobile messenger apps 2015+Most popular Asia-based mobile messenger apps 2015
Most popular Asia-based mobile messenger apps as of 4th quarter 2015, based on number of monthly active users (in millions)
- Most popular messaging apps 2016+Most popular messaging apps 2016
Most popular mobile messenger apps worldwide as of April 2016, based on number of monthly active users (in millions)
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2016Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2016
Number of monthly active WhatsApp users worldwide from April 2013 to February 2016 (in millions)
- U.S. reach of selected mobile messengers 2015U.S. reach of selected mobile messengers 2015
Daily usage reach of the most popular mobile messaging apps in the United States as of July 2015
- Millennials: global reach of selected mobile messengers 2014Millennials: global reach of selected mobile messengers 2014
Active Millennial usage reach of the most popular mobile messaging apps worldwide as of 3rd quarter 2014
- Global mobile messenger usage reach 2012-2015Global mobile messenger usage reach 2012-2015
Global mobile messaging usage penetration from 4th quarter 2012 to 1st quarter 2015
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016
- Number of global social network users 2010-2020Number of global social network users 2010-2020
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016
- Types of ads influencing buying decisions in the U.S. 2015Types of ads influencing buying decisions in the U.S. 2015
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2015Google: global annual revenue 2002-2015