Digital Music on the Rise
While shipments of physical music continue their decline, digital music sales develop positively. As the chart below demonstrates, the numbers of people listening to their favorite tunes on mobile devices as well as listeners of digital radio continue to rise.
In 2017 179 million people in the U.S. will tune in to a digital radio station at least once a month, 108 million are to use their mobile phone to listen to music, a study be eMarketer projects.
In 2013, Justin Timberlakes 20/20 Experience was the top selling digital music album, amounting to 1,03 million units downloaded. Beyonce’s self titled album came in second with 972,000 units sold.
- Physical music sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 2009-2014, by formatPhysical music sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 2009-2014, by format
- Revenues from music sales in Germany 1998-2015Revenues from music sales in Germany 1998-2015
- Spanish physical music sales volume in Spain 2015, by formatSpanish physical music sales volume in Spain 2015, by format
- Music industry revenue in the Netherlands 2012-2020Music industry revenue in the Netherlands 2012-2020
- Music industry revenue in Denmark from 2011-2020Music industry revenue in Denmark from 2011-2020
- Digital Market Outlook: digital music revenue in European countries 2016Digital Market Outlook: digital music revenue in European countries 2016
- Global music industry revenue 2015-2020Global music industry revenue 2015-2020
- Music industry revenue in the U.S. 2011-2020Music industry revenue in the U.S. 2011-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl