Digital Music on the Rise
While shipments of physical music continue their decline, digital music sales develop positively. As the chart below demonstrates, the numbers of people listening to their favorite tunes on mobile devices as well as listeners of digital radio continue to rise.
In 2017 179 million people in the U.S. will tune in to a digital radio station at least once a month, 108 million are to use their mobile phone to listen to music, a study be eMarketer projects.
In 2013, Justin Timberlakes 20/20 Experience was the top selling digital music album, amounting to 1,03 million units downloaded. Beyonce’s self titled album came in second with 972,000 units sold.
- Physical music sales revenue in Norway 2012-2015Physical music sales revenue in Norway 2012-2015
- Physical music sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 2009-2014, by formatPhysical music sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 2009-2014, by format
- Revenues from music sales in Germany 1998-2015Revenues from music sales in Germany 1998-2015
- Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2016Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2016
- Retail value of music shipments in the U.S. from 1999 to 2016Retail value of music shipments in the U.S. from 1999 to 2016
- Market share of the largest music publishers worldwide from 2007 to 2016Market share of the largest music publishers worldwide from 2007 to 2016
- Entertainment retail sales revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2005-2016Entertainment retail sales revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2005-2016
- Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl