Vinyl sales in the United States
The LP Is Back! Or Is It?
April 22 is Record Store Day. Conceived in 2007, the annual event is held to celebrate independently owned record stores and their contribution to music culture in the U.S. and internationally. In the age of digital music, small record stores may seem like an anachronism, but there are still plenty of music fans who love digging through the crates in search of rare LP. Speaking of LPs: Are they really back?
Vinyl album sales in the United States increased by 1,200 percent over the past ten years. That’s a fact. It is also the basis for many reports celebrating the comeback of the LP as a counterpart to the soulless bits and bytes music is often reduced to these days. But how big is the comeback of the big black disc really? Should we all dust off our old record players to prepare for the future of music?
Not really. According to Nielsen’s 2016 year-end music report, LPs accounted for no more (but also no less) than 6.5 percent of album sales in the United States. When accounting for streaming and downloads of single tracks, that number drops to 2.3 percent of total music consumption – not exactly the lion’s share.
However small the impact of rising LP sales on the music industry’s bottom line may be, it’s still interesting to witness a hundred year-old technology come back from near extinction. Let’s hope the video cassette stays buried in the back rooms of (probably out of business) video rental stores.
- Vinyl music market: LP sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 1995-2015Vinyl music market: LP sales volume in the United Kingdom (UK) 1995-2015
- LP album sales in the U.S. 1993-2016LP album sales in the U.S. 1993-2016
- Record sales volume (vinyl LPs) in Germany 2003-2015Record sales volume (vinyl LPs) in Germany 2003-2015
- Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2016Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2016
- Daily media usage in Sweden 2016, by mediumDaily media usage in Sweden 2016, by medium
- Album unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2016, by formatAlbum unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2016, by format
- Leading coal producers in the U.S. 2015Leading coal producers in the U.S. 2015
- Music single unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2015, by formatMusic single unit sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2015, by format
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl