The Global Tablet Market Is in Decline
When Apple reported its earnings earlier this week, there was one number that wasn’t in line with the positive overall results: iPad sales declined for the seventh consecutive quarter and reached their lowest level since Q3 2011, when the device was merely one year old.
But it’s not just Apple that is having problems selling tablets, it’s the tablet market overall that is struggling. Global tablet shipments have declined in each of the past four quarters and the negative trend appears to be accelerating.
As smartphones are becoming larger and more powerful, they are crowding tablets out of their own niche. Moreover, as tablets typically aren’t subsidized by carriers the way smartphones are, people tend to upgrade their devices less frequently. This explains why market saturation is setting in much quicker in the tablet market than it did for smartphones.
- Global tablet market share forecast 2012-2017, by segmentGlobal tablet market share forecast 2012-2017, by segment
- Emerging vs mature markets: tablet market share 2012-2017Emerging vs mature markets: tablet market share 2012-2017
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. tablet market share Q2 2010-Q4 2011Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. tablet market share Q2 2010-Q4 2011
- Market share held by PC operating systems in the U.S. 2012-2016, by monthMarket share held by PC operating systems in the U.S. 2012-2016, by month
- Global market share held by Apple's iPad of global tablet shipments 2012-2016Global market share held by Apple's iPad of global tablet shipments 2012-2016
- Worldwide tablet shipments 2010-2016, by quarterWorldwide tablet shipments 2010-2016, by quarter
- Global market share held by tablet vendors 2011-2016Global market share held by tablet vendors 2011-2016
- Tablet vendors global unit shipments 2012-2016, by quarterTablet vendors global unit shipments 2012-2016, by quarter
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens