Chinese e-commerce market
Amazon Has Yet to Crack the Chinese Market
As dominant as Amazon’s position as the leading online retailer is in most western countries, the Seattle-based company has yet to crack the Chinese market. According to iResearch China, a Chinese market research company, Amazon’s market share in China amounted to less than 1 percent in 2016.
China’s B2C e-commerce market, which is about the same size as the U.S. market by the way, is clearly dominated by Tmall, Alibaba’s business-to-consumer marketplace, which accounted for 56.6 percent of sales in 2016.
Amazon made its ambitions for China clear when the company acquired Joyo, China’s largest online book seller at the time, for $75 million in 2004. Joyo.com was moved to Amazon.cn and renamed Joyo Amazon in 2007 before dropping the old name altogether and being rebranded as Amazon China in 2011.
- B2C e-commerce as percentage of GDP in China 2009-2018B2C e-commerce as percentage of GDP in China 2009-2018
- Leading B2C e-commerce retailers in China in 2013, by GMVLeading B2C e-commerce retailers in China in 2013, by GMV
- Conversion rate of selected B2C e-commerce retailers in China in 2011Conversion rate of selected B2C e-commerce retailers in China in 2011
- Iron ore prices monthly 2016-2017Iron ore prices monthly 2016-2017
- China: weekly box office revenue - March 13 to March 19, 2017China: weekly box office revenue - March 13 to March 19, 2017
- Container shipping companies worldwide - number of ships 2017Container shipping companies worldwide - number of ships 2017
- Passenger car sales in China 2008-2017*, by modelPassenger car sales in China 2008-2017*, by model
- Commercial vehicle sales in China 2008-2017, by modelCommercial vehicle sales in China 2008-2017, by model
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl