Rice requires specific growing conditions to be successfully cultivated. It must be grown in a flooded field in several inches of water. Once the unprocessed rice is harvested, it is known as paddy rice. In 2017, China produced 210.3 million metric tons of paddy rice, making that country the top producer of paddy rice worldwide. India had the largest harvest area of rice in the 2017/2018 crop year, at 43.79 million hectares, while China harvested 30.18 million hectares of rice in that year.
Rice trade worldwide
In addition to having the largest harvest area of rice, India also was the top exporter of rice in the 2018/2019 fiscal year. During that time period, India exported 12.5 million metric tons of rice. Despite being the top producer of rice worldwide, China’s consumption of rice cannot be satisfied by domestic production. China is also the top importer of rice of any country in the world, at over 4.5 million metric tons of rice.
We are the global leading platform for business data from 600 industries and 50 countries.
|Consumption in thousand metric tons|
$49 / Month *
Prices do not include sales tax.
in one Presentation
Everything On "Rice" in One Document: Edited and Divided into Handy Chapters. Including Detailed References.
I think of Statista as Google for researchers. Statista provides you with the information you search for right away.
Dr. Horst Stipp
EVP, Research & Innovation, Advertising Research Foundation
- Worldwide production of grain in 2018/19, by type (in million metric tons)Grain production worldwide 2018/19, by type
- Paddy rice production worldwide in 2017 and 2018, by country (in million metric tons)*Paddy rice production worldwide 2017-2018, by country
- World rice acreage from 2010 to 2017 (in million hectares)***World rice acreage 2010-2017
- World production volume of milled rice from 2008/2009 to 2018/2019 (in million metric tons)Milled rice production volume worldwide 2008-2019
- Global leading rice producing countries based on area harvested in 2018/2019 (in million hectares)*Leading rice producers worldwide based on area harvested 2018/2019
- Leading countries based on the production of milled rice in 2017/2018 (in million metric tons)*Top countries based on production of milled rice 2017/2018
- Total global supply of rice from 2000/2001 to 2018/2019 (in million metric tons)*Total global supply of rice 2000/2001-2018/2019
- Total U.S. rice production from 2000 to 2018 (in 1,000 cwt)*Total U.S. rice production 2000-2018
- Top rice producing U.S. states from 2014 to 2018 (in 1,000 cwt)*Leading U.S. states in rice production 2014-2018
- Total U.S. rice production value from 2000 to 2018 (in 1,000 U.S. dollars)Total U.S. rice production value 2000-2018
- Total U.S. rice plantings and harvestings from 2000 to 2018 (in 1,000 acres)Total U.S. rice plantings and harvestings 2000-2018
- Rice yield per harvested acre in the U.S. from 2000 to 2018 (in pounds)Rice yield per harvested acre 2000-2018
- Principal rice exporting countries worldwide in 2018/2019 (in 1,000 metric tons)Principal rice exporting countries worldwide 2018/2019
- Principal rice importing countries worldwide in 2018/2019 (in 1,000 metric tons)Major rice importing countries worldwide 2018/2019
- Export prices of rice worldwide from 2011 to 2018, by selected varieties (in U.S. dollars per metric ton, f.o.b.)Rice export prices worldwide 2011-2018, by variety
- Rice price indices worldwide from 2011 to 2018, by type*Price indices of rice worldwide 2011-2018, by type
- Monthly price index of rice worldwide from January 2016 to April 2019*Monthly rice price index worldwide 2016-2019
- Retail price of white rice (long grain, uncooked) in the United States from 1995 to 2018 (in U.S. dollars per pound)U.S. retail price of white rice 1995-2018
- Rice consumption worldwide in 2018/2019, by country (in 1,000 metric tons)*Global rice consumption 2018/2019, by country
- Total rice consumption worldwide from 2008/2009 to 2018/2019 (in 1,000 metric tons)*Total global rice consumption 2008-2019
- Global use of rice per capita from 2000/2001 to 2018/2019 (in kilograms per year)*Global per capita rice use 2000/2001-2018/2019
- Rice consumption in the U.S. from 2008/2009 to 2018/2019 (in 1,000 metric tons)*U.S. rice consumption 2008-2019
- Rice consumption in China from 2008/2009 to 2018/2019 (in 1,000 metric tons)Total rice consumption in China 2008-2019