Wheat - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on wheat worldwide and in the U.S.
Wheat is the most important grain worldwide based on grain acreage and is ranked third when it comes to the total production volume. The global amount of wheat produced came to about 737 million metric tons in crop year 2015/2016.
The United States is a major wheat producer, and trails behind only the European Union, China, India, and Russia in production. Almost every U.S. state is involved in the nation’s wheat production, with North Dakota, the ‘Wheat State’ Kansas, and Montana producing the largest volume.
As one of the most important staple foods, a large variety of different products contain high amounts of wheat. The range of products containing wheat spans from multi-purpose flour used to make freshly baked goods such as bread or cookies to processed products such as canned soups that may contain wheat starch as a thickener.
It is expected that global wheat production will show an increasing trend in the next decade. Thereby, wheat producers may focus on enhancing the wheat yield – both in production outcome and revenue.
Photo: istockphoto.com / stargatechris
|Overview: grain and wheat||Values||Statistic|
|Global wheat production||751.1m t||Details →|
|Leading wheat producer worldwide||European Union||Details →|
|Global per capita food use of wheat||67kg/yr||Details →|
|Global stocks of wheat||232m t||Details →|
|Wheat in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Total U.S. wheat production||2,051.75m bu||Details →|
|Total U.S. wheat production value||10,203.36m USD||Details →|
|Top U.S. state based on value of wheat production||North Dakota||Details →|
|Per capita use of wheat for food in the U.S.||82.4kg/yr||Details →|
|Wheat yield per harvested acre in the U.S.||43.6bu||Details →|
|Wheat used for feed in the U.S.||4.2m t||Details →|
|Cost of fertilizers used for wheat production in the U.S.||40.19 USD/ac||Details →|
|Average price of U.S. wheat (HRW)||167 USD/t||Details →|
|U.S. import of wheat||3.5m t||Details →|
|U.S. export of wheat||25m t||Details →|
|Export of U.S. wheat to China||4,282.71k t||Details →|
- Major exporting countries of wheat, flour and products 2014-2017+Major exporting countries of wheat, flour and products 2014-2017
Principal exporting countries of wheat, flour and wheat products from 2014/2015 to 2016/2017 (in 1,000 metric tons)
- Per capita food use of wheat worldwide 2000-2016+Per capita food use of wheat worldwide 2000-2016
Global per capita food use of wheat from 2000/01 to 2016/17 (in kilograms per year)
- Wheat production costs in the United States 2015, by type of cost +Wheat production costs in the United States 2015, by type of cost
Wheat production costs in the United States in 2015, by type of cost (in U.S. dollars per planted acre)
- Grain production worldwide 2016/17, by typeGrain production worldwide 2016/17, by type
- Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2014-2016Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2014-2016
- Unemployment rate in Russia 2020Unemployment rate in Russia 2020
- Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in India 2020Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate in India 2020
- Total world grain production 2008-2016Total world grain production 2008-2016