U.S. Organic Food Consumption and Industry - Statistics & Facts | Statista
Statistics and facts on the organic food industry in the U.S.
Organic foods are foods that are produced using methods that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such a s pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Global sales of organic foods amounted to about 80 billion U.S. dollars in 2014. In that year, North America was responsible for the largest share of retail sales with the United States being the biggest single consumer market.
The demand for organic foods is primarily driven by personal health and environmental reasons and the United States has seen organic food sales growth since 2000. In 2015, organic food sales in the United States generated approximately 39.75 billion U.S. dollars. Within the category, some 83 percent of U.S. organic product sales were made with branded items.
A recent survey discovered that 44 percent of Americans actively try to include organic foods in their diet. Some 18 percent of U.S. consumers indicated to try buying food labeled as organic every week. As of spring 2015, about 47.77 million people purchased organic food in the United States. For about a third of U.S. consumers the supply of organic foods was very important in terms of selecting their primary grocery store.
Photo: sxc.hu / nkzs
|Organic Food Sales||Values||Statistic|
|Organic food revenue in the U.S.||€35.78bn||Details →|
|Growth of organic food sales in the U.S.||11%||Details →|
|Fruit and vegetable share of organic food sales||43.3%||Details →|
|Organic Food Retail||Values||Statistic|
|North American retail sales share of organic food||47%||Details →|
|U.S. retail sales share of organic food||47%||Details →|
|Retail sales of natural and organic food in the U.S.||$48.6bn||Details →|
|Consumer Behavior||$43.13||Details →|
|People who would prefer organic food, if given a choice||57.6%||Details →|
- Organic food sales in the U.S. from 2005-2015Organic food sales in the U.S. from 2005-2015
Organic food sales in the United States from 2005 to 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Organic food sales growth in the U.S. 2000-2015+Organic food sales growth in the U.S. 2000-2015
Organic food sales growth in the United States from 2000 to 2015
- People who buy organic food in the U.S. 2016+People who buy organic food in the U.S. 2016
Number of people who buy organic food in the United States from autumn 2010 to spring 2016 (in millions)
- Organic refrigerated food sales value in the U.S. 2016, by category+Organic refrigerated food sales value in the U.S. 2016, by category
Sales value of organic refrigerated foods in the United States in 2016, by category (in million U.S. dollars)*
- Share of Hispanics who eat more organic foods in the U.S. 2012-2015+Share of Hispanics who eat more organic foods in the U.S. 2012-2015
Share of Hispanic shoppers who eat more organic foods in the United States from 2012 to 2015*
- Organic packaged food sales worldwide 2014-2019+Organic packaged food sales worldwide 2014-2019
Organic packaged food sales worldwide from 2014 to 2019 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2016Economic contribution of travel and tourism to GDP worldwide 2006-2016
- Grain production worldwide 2016/17, by typeGrain production worldwide 2016/17, by type
- Monthly inflation rate in China February 2017Monthly inflation rate in China February 2017
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015
- U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17