U.S. Private Label Market - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the private label market in the U.S.
Private label brands are a line of products in a wide range of industries that provide a lower cost alternative to regional, national or international brands. In 2013, the market share of private label brands in the United States was 18 percent. In autumn of 2012, a survey revealed that just over 95 million U.S. residents consumed store brand or private label food within the last thirty days.
The perception of private label brands used to be quite negative. In 2011, 17 percent of U.S. consumers felt PLB's were for people on tight budgets who couldn't afford the best; but due to the economic downturn in recent years, consumers have changed their mind-set on these products. 33 percent of North American consumers have come to the realization that, in terms of quality and value, these products are equally as good as the name brands they used to purchase. As a result, 94 percent of consumers in North America will continue to buy private label products when the economy improves.
Private label brands provide various advantages for retailers. They help control over-pricing of products and services, provide higher control on production, marketing distribution and profits, which in turn helps build value and recognition from their customers.
Photo: istockphoto.com / skynesher
|Private label market share is highest in Switzerland||45%||Details →|
|U.S. private label CPG expenditure on grocery||$304.8bn||Details →|
|U.S. consumers of any store brand or private label food||94.59m||Details →|
|Private Label Retail||Values||Statistic|
|Share of private label spending on CPG in U.S. multi-outlets||16.6%||Details →|
|Sales of private label milk in U.S. supermarkets||$6.1bn||Details →|
|Private label sales of Wal-Mart in North America||$49.3bn||Details →|
|Percentage of private label food sales at Aldi in North America||91.74%||Details →|
|Private Label Products||Values||Statistic|
|Sales of private label medications/remedies in the U.S.||$515.6m||Details →|
|Dollar sales of private label fresh bread in the U.S.||$2,209.82m||Details →|
|U.S. dollar sales of private label cookies||$1,119.4m||Details →|
- People living in households that consumed any store brand or private label food, 2012+People living in households that consumed any store brand or private label food, 2012
Any store brand or private label food use: Number of people living in households that consumed any store brand or private label food within the last 30 days in the United States (USA) from autumn 2009 to autumn 2012 (in millions)
- Share of global consumers who will continue to buy private label brands 2010Share of global consumers who will continue to buy private label brands 2010
When the economy improves, will you continue to purchase private label products?
- Global private label market: share of leading brands by selected country 2013Global private label market: share of leading brands by selected country 2013
Market share of private label brands worldwide in 2013, by selected country
- Perception of private label brands worldwide 2014Perception of private label brands worldwide 2014
Private label brand perception worldwide in 2014
- U.S. mobile network service operators/providers revenue 2008-2016U.S. mobile network service operators/providers revenue 2008-2016
- Worldwide weekend box office revenue - March 2017Worldwide weekend box office revenue - March 2017
- China: weekly box office revenue - March 20 to March 26, 2017China: weekly box office revenue - March 20 to March 26, 2017
- China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area February 2017China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area February 2017
- China: monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI) by region February 2017China: monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI) by region February 2017