U.S. Residential Housing - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on residential housing in the U.S.
The U.S. housing market was largely influenced by the economic crisis in 2008. In fact, the housing bubble itself contributed to the development of the financial crisis. Very attractive house prices, low mortgage interest rates and low standards for mortgage loans resulted in growth of subprime debt.
The U.S. house prices, as reflected by the S&P/Case Shiller U.S. National Home Price Index grew rapidly from 2000 to 2006, when they reached their peak, and then started to fall down in the following years. The house price growth trend began in 2012 again and in 2016 the house price index exceeded its value from 2006.
There were 560 thousand houses sold in the United States in 2016 - the largest figure since 2008. The U.S. homeownership rate on the other hand has been on decline since 2005 and amounted to 63.7% in 2016.
The rental market in the United States is very important, because roughly one third of the population lived in rented properties in 2016. In that year, monthly median asking rent for an unfurnished apartment in the U.S. amounted to 1,381 U.S. dollars. House prices differ significantly between cities. In Florida, 79 hours at minimum wage were needed to afford a one-bedroom rental unit in 2016. Rental vacancy rates proved to be the smallest in the Western region of the United States.
Photo: istockphoto.com / malerapaso; sxc.hu / brokenarts
|Residential housing market||Statistic|
|Number of housing units in the U.S.||135.58m||Details →|
|Number of owner-occupied housing units in the U.S.||75.6m||Details →|
|Number of housing units occupied by renter in the U.S.||43.04m||Details →|
|U.S. homeownership rate||63.7%||Details →|
|Homeowner vacancy rate in the U.S.||1.8%||Details →|
|Number of houses sold in the U.S.||560k||Details →|
|Gross revenue of D.R. Horton||10.94bn USD||Details →|
|Value of new private residential buildings put in place||457,412m USD||Details →|
|Number of single family building permits in the U.S.||696k||Details →|
|U.S. improvement and repair expenditure||297.2bn USD||Details →|
|Number of U.S. housing units for sale||1,416k||Details →|
|Average price of new homes sold in the U.S.||360.6k USD||Details →|
|Number of homes financed by a conventional loan in the U.S.||397k||Details →|
|Most popular real estate websites by monthly visits||Zillow||Details →|
|Median asking rent for unfurnished apartments in the U.S.||1,381 USD/mo||Details →|
|Number of hours at minimum wage needed to afford a one-bedroom rental unit in Maryland||106||Details →|
|Residential housing market outlook||Statistic|
|Forecast for new construction put in place in the U.S. 2020||1.36tr USD||Details →|
|S&P/Case Shiller U.S. National Home Price Index||185.54||Details →|
|Forecast of multifamily vacancy rates in the U.S.||5.8%||Details →|
- Homeowner vacancy rates in the U.S. 1990-2016Homeowner vacancy rates in the U.S. 1990-2016
Homeowner vacancy rates in the United States from 1990 to 2016
- Number of renter occupied homes in the U.S. 1975-2016+Number of renter occupied homes in the U.S. 1975-2016
Number of renter occupied housing units in the United States from 1975 to 2016 (in millions)
- Revenue of leading home builders in the U.S. 2015Revenue of leading home builders in the U.S. 2015
Gross revenue of leading home builders in the United States in 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Homeownership rate in selected European countries 2015Homeownership rate in selected European countries 2015
- Housing prices change in the Netherlands 2015-2017Housing prices change in the Netherlands 2015-2017
- Sold dwellings volume change in the Netherlands 2015-2017Sold dwellings volume change in the Netherlands 2015-2017
- Number of residential real estate transactions in the Netherlands 2014-2017Number of residential real estate transactions in the Netherlands 2014-2017
- Real estate transactions forecast change in the Netherlands 2016-2018Real estate transactions forecast change in the Netherlands 2016-2018