Natural disasters - statistics & facts
Statistics and facts on natural disasters
Natural disasters of apocalyptic scale have become the norm in recent years. Every few months, it seems, another nation is victimized by an unstoppable natural force.
Scientists have pointed out that natural disaster occurrences have increased and intensified significantly in the last 30 years. Some claim this is an effect of global climate change. Recent disaster records do not refute this claim. Since 1980, eight of the world’s ten most deadly natural disasters have occurred post-2000, the deadliest of which was the 2010 earthquake in Haiti, with 222,570 fatalities. The occurrence of earthquakes has decreased since 2000, though that says nothing for the magnitude of those that do occur.
In recent years, China, the United States, and the Philippines were the three countries to experience the most natural disasters. China experienced a wide variety of disasters, with particularly high occurrences of deadly floods. The United States dealt with a high frequency of extreme weather, including dangerous storms and extreme heat and cold. Meanwhile the ill-fated island country of the Philippines, a mere fraction the size of the first two countries, suffered through 21 disasters in 2011, the third-most natural disasters worldwide. That year, the country experienced an average of 2,385 fatalities per disaster.
|Biggest natural disasters since 1980||Statistic|
|Death toll - Thailand* earthquake/tsunami (26th December, 2004)||220000||Details →|
|Economic damage - Japan earthquake/tsunami (2011)||210bn USD||Details →|
- Number of earthquakes worldwide up from 2000 to 2015Number of earthquakes worldwide up from 2000 to 2015
Development of the number of earthquakes (M5+) worldwide from 2000 to 2015
- Most significant natural disasters worldwide by death toll up to 2015Most significant natural disasters worldwide by death toll up to 2015
The 10 most significant natural disasters worldwide by death toll from 1980 to 2015
- Countries with the most natural disasters, by type in 2015Countries with the most natural disasters, by type in 2015
The ten countries with the most natural disasters by type of disaster in 2015
- Natural disasters - countries with the most fatalities 2015Natural disasters - countries with the most fatalities 2015
The ten countries with the most fatalities from natural disasters in 2015
- Most costly disasters to the insurance industry worldwide 1970-2016Most costly disasters to the insurance industry worldwide 1970-2016
- Italy: number of earthquakes 2016-2017, by magnitudeItaly: number of earthquakes 2016-2017, by magnitude
- Insured losses caused by natural disasters worldwide 1995-2016Insured losses caused by natural disasters worldwide 1995-2016
- U.S. wildfires - number of fires and acres burned 2016U.S. wildfires - number of fires and acres burned 2016
- United States - fatalities due to natural disasters 2016United States - fatalities due to natural disasters 2016