Inflation - Statistics & Facts
Facts and statistics on Inflation
774 Inflation is the change in price levels of goods and services and is usually measured as a percentage of change on an annual basis. The inflation rate is one of the most important economic indicators as inflation changes the value of a currency. More accurately it changes the purchasing power of a currency. If an average pair of shoes costs 100 dollars one year and 103 dollars the next year, the implied inflation rate is three percent. 100 dollars would have sufficed to buy an average pair of shoes in the first year, not in the second. The purchasing power of the dollar has therefore decreased.
Inflation is usually measured based on price indices that are considered good indicators for the overall price level. In the United States, these are the Consumer Price Index (CPI) and the Producer Price Index (PPI). Both indices are compiled by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. While the CPI reflects price changes of consumer goods and services, the PPI measures changes in producer prices for products that are used during the production process. The inflation rate quoted in the media is usually based on consumer prices.
Inflation can result from many different causes. Two of the most common are demand-pull inflation and cost-push inflation. Demand-pull inflation occurs when the demand for goods and services is growing faster than the supply, which is often the case in fast-growing economies. Cost-push inflation occurs when production costs rise and companies have to raise prices to protect their profit margins. A good example for the latter is the significant influence that barrel oil prices have on the general consumer price level.
The average inflation rate in the United States was at a moderate 1.5 percent in 2013 compared to 2.63 percent in China and 1.9 percent in the UK and 9.65 percent in India. According to an IMF ranking, India was among the fifteen countries with the highest inflation in 2014. In 2009, prices in the U.S. decreased for the first time since 1955. A decrease of the general price level is called deflation.
Photo: istockphoto.com / serg_velusceac
|Consumer Price Index and Inflation rate||Values||Statistic|
|Annual inflation rate in the U.S.||1.3%||Details →|
|Consumer price index of all urban U.S. consumers||240||Details →|
|CPI for all items (excluding food and energy) of urban U.S. consumers||247.60||Details →|
|Projected annual inflation rate in the U.S. by 2020||2.34%||Details →|
|Chained Consumer Price Index||Values||Statistic|
|Chained consumer price index of all urban U.S. consumers||134.79||Details →|
|Annual chained inflation rate in the U.S.||2.0%||Details →|
|Producer Price Index||Values||Statistic|
|Producer Price Index (PPI) for commodities in the U.S.||185.4||Details →|
|Annual change of PPI for commodities in the U.S.||-2.6%||Details →|
|Laos has the lowest inflation rate||-3.27%||Details →|
|South Sudan has the highest inflation rate||476.02%||Details →|
- Consumer Price Index of all urban consumers 1992-2016Consumer Price Index of all urban consumers 1992-2016
Consumer Price Index (CPI) of all urban consumers in the United States from 1992 to 2016
- U.S.: average annual inflation rate 1990-2016 U.S.: average annual inflation rate 1990-2016
Annual inflation rate in the United States from 1990 to 2016
- Producer Price Index for commodities 1990-2016Producer Price Index for commodities 1990-2016
Producer Price Index (PPI) for commodities in the United States from 1990 to 2016
- Countries with the highest inflation rate 2016Countries with the highest inflation rate 2016
The 20 countries with the highest inflation rate in 2016 (compared to the previous year)
- Monthly Consumer Price Index of all urban consumers in the U.S. January 2017Monthly Consumer Price Index of all urban consumers in the U.S. January 2017
- United States - monthly inflation rate in December 2016United States - monthly inflation rate in December 2016
- U.S. Producer Price Index (PPI) for commodities: January 2017U.S. Producer Price Index (PPI) for commodities: January 2017
- Change of gasoline price in selected countries 2016-2076Change of gasoline price in selected countries 2016-2076
- Value of gold reserves 2016, by countryValue of gold reserves 2016, by country