U.S. Energy Consumption - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Energy Consumption in the U.S.
As emerging countries continue to grow rapidly, the world’s total energy demand keeps rising. The growing demand is largely covered by fossil fuels, namely petroleum, coal and natural gas. Those fuels, however, are finite resources, and burning them emits large amounts of pollutants that contribute to climate change. Meanwhile, renewable energy sources are slowly becoming more efficient but are still far from able to cover the ever-growing global energy needs.
Total primary energy consumption in the United States has been relatively constant for the past 10 years.
The primary energy consumed in the United States comes from various sources: In 2015, the U.S. consumed around 35 quadrillion British thermal units of energy derived from petroleum, some 28 quadrillion British thermal units of energy derived from natural gas, about 15 quadrillion British thermal units of energy derived from coal and a little over eight quadrillion British thermal units of energy from nuclear energy sources. It is expected that the amount of energy derived from renewable sources will rise in the future, but it will likely take decades until renewable sources can replace fossil fuels to a considerable extent.
|Energy Consumption in a Global Context||Values||Statistic|
|Global oil consumption||4,331.3m t||Details →|
|China leads global primary energy consumption||3,014 m t||Details →|
|U.S. comes in second in global electricity consumption||3,913bn kWh||Details →|
|U.S. Energy Consumption||Values||Statistic|
|Primary energy consumption in the U.S.||2,280.6m t||Details →|
|U.S. residential primary energy consumption||6.5qn Btu||Details →|
|U.S. petroleum energy consumption||35.38qn Btu||Details →|
|U.S. per capita energy consumption index score (1980=1)||0.9||Details →|
|Total electricity end use in the U.S.||3,863bn kWh||Details →|
|Cost of coal in the U.S.||$2.22/m Btu||Details →|
|Average U.S. retail prices of commercial electricity||¢10.59/kWh||Details →|
|Revenue of ExxonMobil Corp as of October 2014*||$236,810m||Details →|
|Market value of Duke Energy||$53.1bn||Details →|
|Number of consumers of Pacific Gas & Electric Co||5,069.19k||Details →|
- U.S. fossil fuel energy consumption: 1985-2015U.S. fossil fuel energy consumption: 1985-2015
U.S. fossil fuel energy consumption from 1985 to 2015 (in quadrillion British thermal units)
- Per capita energy consumption index - United States 2000-2017+Per capita energy consumption index - United States 2000-2017
U.S. per capita energy consumption index score from 2000 to 2017*
- U.S. renewable energy consumption forecast 2014-2040+U.S. renewable energy consumption forecast 2014-2040
Projected U.S. renewable energy consumption from 2014 to 2040 (in quadrillion British thermal units)*
- U.S. energy consumption by source 2014-2015U.S. energy consumption by source 2014-2015
U.S. energy consumption in 2014 and 2015, by energy source (in quadrillion Btu)
- Average electricity consumption of non-commercial customers in the U.S.+Average electricity consumption of non-commercial customers in the U.S.
Average annual electricity consumption of non-commercial customers in the U.S. from 1990 to 2010 (in kilowatt hours)
- Primary energy consumption - leading countries 2015Primary energy consumption - leading countries 2015
Top 20 countries in primary energy consumption in 2015 (in million metric tons of oil equivalent)
- Global per capita energy consumption by select country 2013+Global per capita energy consumption by select country 2013
Energy consumption per capita globally in 2013, by select country (in kilograms of oil equivalent)
- Number of oil and gas rigs by world region February 2016Number of oil and gas rigs by world region February 2016
- World lithium reserves by country 2016World lithium reserves by country 2016
- Primary energy supply - worldwide by source 2014Primary energy supply - worldwide by source 2014
- Global oil demand by region 2016-2017Global oil demand by region 2016-2017
- Revenue of top land drilling energy services and equipment companies 2015 and 2016Revenue of top land drilling energy services and equipment companies 2015 and 2016