Facebook's Impressive Mobile Line-Up
When Facebook filed for its initial public offering in early 2012, the company named the ongoing transition to mobile as one of the biggest risks to its future success. If the transition to mobile was indeed the biggest challenge in Mark Zuckerberg's young career as CEO of a billion-dollar company, he managed it admirably well.
Not only does Facebook generate most of its revenue on mobile devices now, the company also owns some of the most popular apps in the world. Just this week, Messaging VP David Marcus announced that Messenger now has 1.2 billion monthly active users, making Facebook's messaging sidekick the third of the company's platforms to reach that threshold. Facebook itself currently has 1.7 billion mobile users per months, its $19 billion acquisition WhatsApp reached 1.2 billion users in December 2016. And finally there's Instagram, which has more than 600 million users and is immensely popular with Millennials.
With a mobile line-up like this, Facebook appears to be in a position that all but guarantees sustained success in the mobile landscape.
- Forecast: mobile users worldwide 2010-2020Forecast: mobile users worldwide 2010-2020
- Forecast: mobile users in Europe 2010-2020Forecast: mobile users in Europe 2010-2020
- Forecast: mobile users in the Americas 2010-2020Forecast: mobile users in the Americas 2010-2020
- Share of mobile Facebook users in the Nordics 2017Share of mobile Facebook users in the Nordics 2017
- News consumption among U.S. mobile users 2014, by mediumNews consumption among U.S. mobile users 2014, by medium
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month April 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month April 2016
- Brand value of the most valuable companies worldwide in 2017Brand value of the most valuable companies worldwide in 2017
- Revenue of global public internet companies 2014-2016Revenue of global public internet companies 2014-2016
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Leading U.S. video properties 2017, by unique viewersLeading U.S. video properties 2017, by unique viewers
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl