Facebook's Impressive Mobile Line-Up
When Facebook filed for its initial public offering in early 2012, the company named the ongoing transition to mobile as one of the biggest risks to its future success. If the transition to mobile was indeed the biggest challenge in Mark Zuckerberg's young career as CEO of a billion-dollar company, he managed it admirably well.
Not only does Facebook generate most of its revenue on mobile devices now, the company also owns some of the most popular apps in the world. Just this week, Messaging VP David Marcus announced that Messenger now has 1.2 billion monthly active users, making Facebook's messaging sidekick the third of the company's platforms to reach that threshold. Facebook itself currently has 1.7 billion mobile users per months, its $19 billion acquisition WhatsApp reached 1.2 billion users in December 2016. And finally there's Instagram, which has more than 600 million users and is immensely popular with Millennials.
With a mobile line-up like this, Facebook appears to be in a position that all but guarantees sustained success in the mobile landscape.
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month March 2016
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2017Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2017
- Top 15 most frequently visited websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently visited websites in Sweden 2017
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl