Facebook - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Facebook
Facebook is a social networking service that was created by Harvard student Mark Zuckerberg in 2004. Initially designed as a networking tool for Harvard students, it quickly spread to other schools and was finally opened to the public in 2006. Facebook is now, by a very wide margin, the biggest social network worldwide. As of January 2017, Facebook had more than 1.87 billion global monthly active users, including over close to 1.74 billion mobile monthly active users.
In 2016, Facebook generated 27.64 billion U.S. dollars in revenues, most of which derived from advertising sales. The amount of data the company collects from its users enables it to sell well-targeted advertising space, which is why Facebook’s advertising business is expected to grow vastly in the years to come. Facebook filed for an initial public offering in February 2012 and made its stock market debut on May 18. Raising 16 billion U.S. dollars at a valuation of 104 billion U.S. dollars, Facebook's IPO was among the largest IPOs of all time, dwarfing those of other Internet companies, such as Google and Amazon.
Facebook allows its users to create their own Facebook page, add friends and share personal updates and photos. According to Facebook user statistics, a very popular feature of Facebook is the “like button”. Designed to facilitate feedback and recommendations to friends, it is now integrated into virtually every major website, especially those offering content. The “like button” also opened the door for marketers to benefit from Facebook’s popularity. Facebook enables brands to address their fans directly, which is why marketers put a lot of effort into generating Facebook fans. Major companies like Disney, Coca Cola and Nike have tens of millions of Facebook fans according to this brand ranking.
In recent years, Facebook has repeatedly drawn criticism for its stance on users’ privacy. The terms of privacy and its controls have often been tweaked and are regarded as overly complicated by many users. A survey among Internet users in the U.S. showed that 27% of the respondents were very concerned about the privacy of their personal data on Facebook.
In September 2012, Facebook purchased photo-sharing app Instagram for 1 billion U.S. dollars. Other notable acquisitions include VR gaming headset Oculus Rift and mobile messaging app WhatsApp, which was purchased for 19 billion U.S. dollars in February 2014.
|Revenue of Facebook in 2016||27.64bn USD||Details →|
|Net income of Facebook in 2016||10.2bn USD||Details →|
|Number of Facebook users in the U.S. as of April 2017||219m||Details →|
|Most expensive acquisition by Facebook as of April 2017||WhatsApp (19bn USD)||Details →|
|Number of Facebook employees as of 2016||17,048||Details →|
|Biggest revenue generator for Facebook in 2016||Advertising||Details →|
|Facebook advertising revenue in 2016||26.9bn USD||Details →|
|Facebook's average revenue per user in 2016||15.98 USD||Details →|
|Mobile advertising revenue share of Facebook in 2016||97%||Details →|
- Facebook: online reach in the United States 2015-2021Facebook: online reach in the United States 2015-2021
Facebook penetration in the United States from 2015 to 2021
- Facebook demographics: distribution of U.S. users 2017, by ageFacebook demographics: distribution of U.S. users 2017, by age
Distribution of Facebook users in the United States as of January 2017, by age group and gender
- Number of Facebook users worldwide 2008-2016Number of Facebook users worldwide 2008-2016
Number of monthly active Facebook users worldwide as of 4th quarter 2016 (in millions)
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
Product brands with the most Facebook fans as of February 2017 (in millions)
- Facebook most popular game DAU 2016Facebook most popular game DAU 2016
Most popular Facebook games as of October 2016, based on number of daily active users (in millions)
- Facebook: annual revenue 2009-2016Facebook: annual revenue 2009-2016
Facebook's annual revenue from 2009 to 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Facebook: advertising revenue worldwide 2009-2016+Facebook: advertising revenue worldwide 2009-2016
Facebook's advertising revenue worldwide from 2009 to 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- U.S. Snapchat ad revenues 2015-2018, by segment+U.S. Snapchat ad revenues 2015-2018, by segment
Snapchat advertising revenues in the United States from 2015 to 2018, by segment
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Instagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile sizeInstagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile size
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Leading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewersLeading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewers