Twitter's Growth Pales in Comparison to Facebook's
When Twitter reported its fourth quarter earnings yesterday, those who hoped that the company had found a way to reignite its stagnant user growth were disappointed once again.
During the fourth quarter of 2014, Twitter added just 4 million users to reach an active user base of 288 million. While that is still an increase of 20% year-over-year, it is also further proof that Twitter will never be as big as Facebook.
The good news for Twitter is that its revenue is growing much quicker than its active user base. Q4 revenue almost doubled to $479 million, beating analyst expectations by a healthy margin. So while Twitter will probably never match Facebook’s near universal reach, the company has proven once again that its business model is working, albeit at a smaller scale.
- U.S. Facebook and Twitter user development 2014-2020U.S. Facebook and Twitter user development 2014-2020
- Twitter user growth in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014-2018Twitter user growth in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014-2018
- Twitter: annual user growth rate in India 2013-2019Twitter: annual user growth rate in India 2013-2019
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl