Twitter - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Twitter
Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send short 140-character messages called tweets. According to recent social media industry figures, Twitter currently ranks as one of the leading social networks worldwide based on active users. As of the fourth quarter of 2015, Twitter had 305 million monthly active users. Registered users can read and post tweets as well as follow other users via update feed. As of January 2016, Katy Perry was the most-followed celebrity on Twitter with more than 80 million followers.
In 2015, the company’s revenue amounted to 2.22 billion U.S. dollars with a net loss of 521 million U.S. dollars. The majority of company revenues are generated via advertising. The company went public in November 2013 and is ranked as one of the largest U.S. internet companies with a market capitalization of approximately 18.15 billion U.S. dollars as of August 2015.
Current statistics on Twitter users show that both North America and Asia Pacific each account for almost 30 percent of Twitter users, with experts projecting Asia Pacific’s share of Twitter users to grow to 40.1 percent by 2018. Despite the strong potential in the region, Twitter is banned in the area’s largest online market China. Local microblogging services such as Sina Weibo or WeChat provide alternatives to Twitter.
Twitter has consistently been named as one of the most popular social networks of teenagers in the United States. However, in recent survey periods, the social network has lost some of its market share to mobile competitor Instagram.
Recent social media data also proves that Twitter usage is becoming increasingly prominent during events. Live-tweeting cultural happenings such as sporting events or television airings has become a popular way for consumers to engage online with others while sharing their thoughts on current experiences. According to U.S. Millennials’, live-tweeting events makes them more fun and 67 percent would also follow hash tags related to events. According to industry measurements, TV series such as AMC’s The Walking Dead or HBO's Game of Thrones are currently ranked amongst the most popular television series online, based on their Twitter online buzz per episode and Twitter audience size.
|Company Overview of Twitter||Values||Statistic|
|Twitter's worldwide revenue||$2.22bn||Details →|
|Projected global Twitter advertising revenue in 2017||$3.26bn||Details →|
|Annual net loss of Twitter||$-521m||Details →|
|User data requests submitted to Twitter from US federal agencies in H2 2015||2,673||Details →|
|Global active user reach in Q2 2015||22%||Details →|
|Twitter penetration rate among U.S. social media population||29.2%||Details →|
|Number of smartphone U.S. Twitter users||42.6m||Details →|
- Most followed accounts on twitter 2016Most followed accounts on twitter 2016
Most followed accounts on twitter worldwide as of June 2016 (in millions)
- Twitter: number of monthly active users 2010-2016Twitter: number of monthly active users 2010-2016
Number of monthly active Twitter users worldwide from 1st quarter 2010 to 2nd quarter 2016 (in millions)
- Twitter: total number of data removal requests as of H2 2015Twitter: total number of data removal requests as of H2 2015
Number of data removal requests issued to Twitter from January 2012 to December 2015
- Black Twitter: popular hashtag discussions 2015+Black Twitter: popular hashtag discussions 2015
Popular hashtags dicussed via Black Twitter as of August 2015, by number of tweets (in 1000s)
- Leading U.S. Twitter topics 2015, by mentionsLeading U.S. Twitter topics 2015, by mentions
Most popular subjects of conversation on Twitter in the United States in 2015, based on total number of mentions (in millions)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016
- Potential reach of ad campaigns during Gay Pride Parade in the Netherlands 2016Potential reach of ad campaigns during Gay Pride Parade in the Netherlands 2016
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2016Most popular Facebook fan pages 2016