Twitter - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Twitter
Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send short 140-character messages called tweets. According to recent social media industry figures, Twitter currently ranks as one of the leading social networks worldwide based on active users. As of the first quarter of 2017, Twitter had 328 million monthly active users. Registered users can read and post tweets as well as follow other users via update feed. As of March 2017, Katy Perry was the most-followed celebrity on Twitter with more than 96 million followers.
In 2016, the company’s revenue amounted to 2.53 billion U.S. dollars with a net loss of 457 million U.S. dollars. The majority of company revenues are generated via advertising. The company went public in November 2013 and is ranked as one of the largest U.S. internet companies with a market capitalization of approximately 13.1 billion U.S. dollars as of August 2015.
Twitter has consistently been named as one of the most popular social networks of teenagers in the United States. However, in recent survey periods, the social network has lost some of its market share to mobile competitor Instagram and more recently, Snapchat.
Recent social media data also proves that Twitter usage is becoming increasingly prominent during events. Live-tweeting happenings such as sporting events or television airings has become a popular way for consumers to engage online with others while sharing their thoughts on current experiences. According to U.S. Millennials, live-tweeting events makes them more fun and 67 percent would also follow hash tags related to events. According to industry measurements, TV series such as AMC’s The Walking Dead or HBO's Game of Thrones are currently ranked amongst the most popular television series online, based on their Twitter online buzz per episode and Twitter audience size.
|Global revenue of Twitter in 2016||2.53bn USD||Details →|
|Annual net loss of Twitter in 2016||-457m USD||Details →|
|Annual advertising revenue of Twitter in 2016||2.25bn USD||Details →|
|Projected global Twitter advertising revenue in 2017||3.26bn USD||Details →|
|User data requests submitted to Twitter from US federal agencies in H1 2016||5,618||Details →|
- U.S. online adults using Twitter 2009-2016U.S. online adults using Twitter 2009-2016
Share of online adults in the United States using Twitter from 2009 to 2016
- Twitter usage frequency in the United States 2016Twitter usage frequency in the United States 2016
Frequency of Twitter use in the United States as of April 2016
- Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide 2017Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide 2017
Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of March 2017 (in millions)
- Twitter: number of monthly active users 2010-2017Twitter: number of monthly active users 2010-2017
Number of monthly active Twitter users worldwide from 1st quarter 2010 to 1st quarter 2017 (in millions)
- Twitter: total number of data removal requests as of H2 2016Twitter: total number of data removal requests as of H2 2016
Number of data removal requests issued to Twitter from 1st half 2012 to 2nd half 2016
- Leading U.S. Twitter topics 2015, by mentionsLeading U.S. Twitter topics 2015, by mentions
Most popular subjects of conversation on Twitter in the United States in 2015, based on total number of mentions (in millions)
- Twitter: average monthly tweets by brand profiles 2016Twitter: average monthly tweets by brand profiles 2016
Average monthly number of tweets by brands on Twitter from January to December 2016
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Instagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile sizeInstagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile size
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Daily media usage in Sweden 2016, by mediumDaily media usage in Sweden 2016, by medium