Poll Reveals Generational Gap in Media Preferences
When HBO announced its standalone streaming service HBO Now in March, it was a definite sign that the TV landscape had changed for good. When even the world’s arguably most famous and successful Pay TV service can no longer afford to turn its back on streaming, it’s a clear indication of what the future of television will look like.
A recent poll conducted by Deloitte among 2,000+ U.S. consumers gives us an idea why HBO decided to enter the streaming market after all: while mature Americans still rely on traditional Pay TV subscriptions, younger Americans, Millennials in particular, favor streaming services over traditional Pay TV. Asked which of the services they subscribe to are the three most important ones to them, 72 percent of those aged 14-25 named a video streaming service while only 58 percent included a Pay TV subscription in their Top 3.
In general, the poll reveals a sizeable generational gap in media preferences, as illustrated in today’s chart.
- Frequency of social media usage in Germany in 2015, by social media siteFrequency of social media usage in Germany in 2015, by social media site
- Average daily social media usage in Asia Pacific 2015Average daily social media usage in Asia Pacific 2015
- Daily U.S. mom media usage 2017Daily U.S. mom media usage 2017
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2017Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2017
- Average daily time spent using selected media in Norway 2016Average daily time spent using selected media in Norway 2016
- Instagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile sizeInstagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile size
- Daily media usage in Sweden 2016, by mediumDaily media usage in Sweden 2016, by medium
- Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl