No Place Like Europe in Terms of Public WiFi Speeds
Public WiFi hotspots are a godsend for business travellers and tourists who want to avoid paying international data charges. Sometimes, however, public WiFi can prove infuriatingly slow (and insecure of course). So which countries offer the fastest download speeds over public WiFi networks? According to Rotten WiFi, a public WiFi and 3G/4G watchdog, there’s no place like Europe in terms of public WiFi speeds.
Based on data collected from public WiFi hotspots across 172 countries, Lithuania boasts the fastest average public WiFi download speeds worldwide at 15.40 Mbps. Croatia comes second with 14.05 Mbps while another small baltic nation, Estonia, rounds off the top three with 13.75 Mbps.
The first non-European nation to make the list is Singapore with an average download speed of 9.49 Mbps over its public WiFi networks. So what about the United States? Its public hotspots are ranked 20th with an average speed of 6.89 Mbps.
- Countries with the most hotels offering free Wi-Fi worldwide 2015Countries with the most hotels offering free Wi-Fi worldwide 2015
- Regions with the most hotels offering free Wi-Fi worldwide 2015Regions with the most hotels offering free Wi-Fi worldwide 2015
- Cities with the most hotels offering free Wi-Fi in the U.S. 2015Cities with the most hotels offering free Wi-Fi in the U.S. 2015
- Number of U.S. internet users 2013-2015, by access locationNumber of U.S. internet users 2013-2015, by access location
- IoT connectivity modules cost comparison 2016IoT connectivity modules cost comparison 2016
- Share of individuals without internet access in the Netherlands 2015, by genderShare of individuals without internet access in the Netherlands 2015, by gender
- Canada devices owned by shoppers 2014-2016Canada devices owned by shoppers 2014-2016
- Share of households with devices connected to the internet in the Netherlands 2015Share of households with devices connected to the internet in the Netherlands 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl