Apple's iPhone Business in Perspective
When Apple holds its highly-anticipated keynote on Wednesday, millions of people will be watching, curious what the world’s arguably most secretive company has to unveil. But even though much of the attention ahead of the event has been focused on what Apple may present besides the new iPhone models (a giant iPad? a revamped Apple TV?), it’s the iPhone presentation that is most important to Apple’s future.
After the first iPhone was released in 2007, it quickly became Apple’s largest cash cow, accounting for 69 percent of the company’s revenue in the 2014 holiday quarter. Today’s chart illustrates how huge the iPhone business really is. In the past quarter, Apple generated more revenue selling iPhones than Google, eBay and Facebook did combined.
So whatever Apple’s upcoming keynote has in store, the company’s investors will probably be happy as long as the new iPhones are received positively.
- iPhone revenue as share of Apple's total revenue 2009-2017, by quarteriPhone revenue as share of Apple's total revenue 2009-2017, by quarter
- Distribution of U.S. iPhone app revenue in 2013, by monetization modelDistribution of U.S. iPhone app revenue in 2013, by monetization model
- Distribution of iPhone app revenue in 2010, by channelDistribution of iPhone app revenue in 2010, by channel
- Weekend box office revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) March 17-19, 2017Weekend box office revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) March 17-19, 2017
- Weekend box office revenue - March 2017Weekend box office revenue - March 2017
- Worldwide weekend box office revenue - March 2017Worldwide weekend box office revenue - March 2017
- China: weekly box office revenue - March 13 to March 19, 2017China: weekly box office revenue - March 13 to March 19, 2017
- GlaxoSmithKline's revenue 2006-2016GlaxoSmithKline's revenue 2006-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl