Snapchat Crowned Number 1 by American Teens
When it comes to their social media preferences, U.S. teens are about as loyal as Brutus was to Caesar. Back in 2013, Facebook was still their social network of choice. In 2014, Instagram took the throne for a while before being re-accommodated by Snapchat in 2016.
In the spring of 2017, Snapchat is the clear number 1 for teens in the United States, with nearly 40 percent of the 5,500 teenagers polled for PiperJaffray’s bi-annual “Taking Stock With Teens” survey naming it their favorite social platform. 23 percent of the teenage respondents called Instagram their favorite; Facebook and Twitter share third place with 11 percent each.
So how do these numbers translate into actual usage? Are teenagers really over Facebook? Not quite, apparently. According to PiperJaffray’s findings, more than half of those polled still use Facebook at least once a month. The same holds true for Twitter, which is used regularly by 56 percent of U.S. teens. Snapchat and Instagram hold their ground in terms of usage as well: both are used at least monthly by around 80 percent of young Americans.
- Frequency of social media usage in Germany in 2015, by social media siteFrequency of social media usage in Germany in 2015, by social media site
- Daily social media usage in Denmark 2015, by gender and siteDaily social media usage in Denmark 2015, by gender and site
- Average daily social media usage in Asia Pacific 2015Average daily social media usage in Asia Pacific 2015
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Instagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile sizeInstagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile size
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl