Snapchat - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Snapchat
Snapchat is a mobile photo messaging and multimedia sharing app which was released in September 2011 by Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy, and Reggie Brown. The app was initially launched to share impermanent pictures via private message 'snaps' that can be viewed for a user-specified length of time before becoming inaccessible. Despite its origins as a photo app, video has become an important feature of Snapchat, with 8 billion mobile videos currently viewed per day, rivalling Facebook in terms of daily video user engagement. The company reported 100 million daily active users worldwide in May 2015, positioning it as one of the fastest growing social apps and networks worldwide. Snapchat also ranks as the most popular social media site among teenagers and young adults in the United States.
The core feature of Snapchat is the creation of multimedia messages, referred to as snaps, which can consist of a photo or a short video, and can be edited with text, filters, stickers or other overlays. Snaps can be shared as a semi-public story, which is automatically shared with the user's contact list, or sent privately. As of the third quarter of 2015, sending messages and photo snaps were the most popular Snapchat activities among active users worldwide.
Snapchat audiences are predominantly young, with the company reporting the majority of users to be aged less than 24 years and a sizeable portion aged 13 to 17 years. A quarter of global Snapchat users access the service more than once per day, and the app ranks ahead of Tumblr and Twitter in terms of U.S. Millennial user engagement.
The platform has also become a cornerstone of social media marketing towards teens and Millennials. Snapchat users are also willing to pay for online and mobile content, with music downloads and TV and movie streaming being the most popular types of paid content. Visually strong brands such as sportswear, beauty and fashion are leading the way in terms of Snapchat adoption.
- Preferred social networks of U.S. teens 2012-2016Preferred social networks of U.S. teens 2012-2016
Most popular social networks of teenagers in the United States from Fall 2012 to Fall 2016
- Snapchat demographics: age distribution of U.S. users 2016Snapchat demographics: age distribution of U.S. users 2016
Snapchat user demographics: Distribution of Snapchat users in the United States as of February 2016, by age
- Snapchat: most popular user activities 2015Snapchat: most popular user activities 2015
Most popular activities of Snapchat users worldwide as of 3rd quarter 2015
- Daily mobile video viewing volume on Snapchat 2015-2016+Daily mobile video viewing volume on Snapchat 2015-2016
Number of daily mobile video views on Snapchat as of April 2016 (in billions)
- Snapchat user data requests by U.S. federal authorities 2014-2016Snapchat user data requests by U.S. federal authorities 2014-2016
Number of user data requests made to Snapchat from U.S. federal agencies and courts from 2014 to 2016
- Daily active users of Snapchat 2014-2016Daily active users of Snapchat 2014-2016
Number of daily active Snapchat users from March 2014 to June 2016 (in millions)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2016Global social networks ranked by number of users 2016
- Media usage in an online minute 2016Media usage in an online minute 2016
- Top social media sites in the Nordics 2016Top social media sites in the Nordics 2016
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2016Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2016