Scotland: percentage of inhabitants with English language issues in 2011

Proportion of population of Scotland with some weaknesses in English in 2011, by skill level*

by Statista Research Department, last edited Sep 26, 2013
Scotland: percentage of inhabitants with English language issues in 2011 In the 2011 National Census, 93.8 percent of Scotland's population declared that they spoke, read and wrote English, leaving 6.2 percent who had some issues. This statistic shows the latter proportion of the population, by their specific skill set. 3 percent of the population claimed that they spoke but could not read or write English, and 0.2 percent of the population had no English skills at all.
Show more

Proportion of population of Scotland with some weaknesses in English in 2011, by skill level*

Loading statistic...
Share of the population
Speaks but does not read or write English3%
Understands but does not speak, read or write English1.9%
Speaks and reads but does not write English0.7%
Other combination of skills in English0.4%
No skills in English0.2%
Reads but does not speak or write English0.1%
Share of the population
Speaks but does not read or write English3%
Understands but does not speak, read or write English1.9%
Speaks and reads but does not write English0.7%
Other combination of skills in English0.4%
No skills in English0.2%
Reads but does not speak or write English0.1%
Download Settings Share
Download started
Please be patient - this may take a moment
by Statista Research Department, last edited Sep 26, 2013
In the 2011 National Census, 93.8 percent of Scotland's population declared that they spoke, read and wrote English, leaving 6.2 percent who had some issues. This statistic shows the latter proportion of the population, by their specific skill set. 3 percent of the population claimed that they spoke but could not read or write English, and 0.2 percent of the population had no English skills at all.
Show more
Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $588 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.

Premium Account
Your perfect start with Statista
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references

$49 / Month *

Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* All products require an annual contract.
   Prices do not include sales tax.
Leading companies trust Statista:
paypalgoogleadobepgsamsungtelekom
Related Studies: Available to Download in PDF or PPTX Format
Languages in the United Kingdom (UK)
Languages in the United Kingdom (UK)

All Information
in one Presentation

Languages in the United Kingdom (UK)

Everything On "Languages in the United Kingdom (UK)" in One Document: Edited and Divided into Handy Chapters. Including Detailed References.

Statista is a great source of knowledge, and pretty helpful to manage the daily work.
Christof Baron

Christof Baron
CEO, MindShare Germany

Statistics on "Languages in the United Kingdom (UK)"
  • Overview of the non-native English speaking population
  • English proficiency of the non-native population
  • English proficiency of the non-native labor force
  • Regional languages in the United Kingdom
Discover Statista
Need help with using Statista for your research? Tutorials and first steps
Further Content: Statistics, Studies, and Topic Pages
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.
Do you have any questions about our business solutions?

We provide you with detailed information about our Corporate Account.