Weddings and Marriage - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Weddings and Marriage
In 2012, approximately one third of adults still wanted to get married at some point in their lives, however, the percentage of married adults nowadays is remarkably lower than it was some fifty years ago, regardless of the age of spouses. In 2010, a survey among Americans showed that almost half of Americans aged between 18 and 29 thought that marriage was becoming obsolete.
Unsurprisingly, the annual number of marriages in the United States has slowly but steadily declined over the last 20 years, with the marriage rate in the United States, i.e. the number of marriages per 1,000 people, simultaneously declining from 1990 to 2012. On a positive note, the divorce rate in the U.S. declined during the same period; although it is not clear whether this is simply a side-effect of the shrinking number of unions. It also seems to gain traction again.
Marriage statistics show that the age at which Americans first get married has changed significantly over the past three decades. In 1970, almost half of American women were younger than 20 years at the time of their first wedding, compared to only 6.94 percent in 2009. The age of men at their first wedding has increased simultaneously, albeit to a slightly higher level. Nowadays, the median age, i.e. half of the respective group is younger, the other half is older, on the first wedding day is at around 29 years for men and at about 27 years for women.
Sexual intercourse rates are remarkably higher among married persons than among singles, by the way, although the figures do not indicate whether or not the spouses actually sleep with their significant other or with someone else who is married.
Photo: istockphoto.com / antonbalazh
|Percentage of weddings in June in the U.S.||16%||Details →|
|Average costs for a wedding in the U.S.||$25,631||Details →|
|Most expensive wedding locations in the U.S.||Manhattan, New York||Details →|
|Number of marriages in the U.S.||2.14m||Details →|
|Marriage rate in the U.S. (per 1,000 of population)||6.9/k||Details →|
|Top U.S. state with the highest marriage rate||Nevada||Details →|
|Number of divorces in the U.S.||0.81m||Details →|
|Divorce rate in the U.S. (per 1,000 of population)||3.2/k||Details →|
|Top job in the U.S. with the highest divorce rate||Dancers & Choreographers||Details →|
- Spending for Valentine's Day gifts for spouses 2007-2016Spending for Valentine's Day gifts for spouses 2007-2016
How much money do you plan on spending on Valentine's Day gifts for your spouse/significant other? (in U.S. dollars)
- Survey on the legalization of same-sex marriages in the U.S. 1996 to 2016Survey on the legalization of same-sex marriages in the U.S. 1996 to 2016
Do you think marriages between same-sex couples should be recognized by law as valid?
- Marital status of the U.S. population 2015, by sexMarital status of the U.S. population 2015, by sex
Marital status of the U.S. population in 2015, by sex (in millions)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Average number of marriages in the Netherlands 1950-2015, by genderAverage number of marriages in the Netherlands 1950-2015, by gender
- Number of straight and same-sex marriages in the Netherlands 2005-2015Number of straight and same-sex marriages in the Netherlands 2005-2015
- Total number of same-sex marriages the Netherlands 2005-2015, by genderTotal number of same-sex marriages the Netherlands 2005-2015, by gender
- Americans' moral stance towards divorce in 2016Americans' moral stance towards divorce in 2016
- Americans' moral stance towards sex between unmarried persons in 2016Americans' moral stance towards sex between unmarried persons in 2016