Samsung Now Officially More Profitable Than Apple
A revival of its semiconductor business has helped Samsung to post yet another record profit in the past quarter. The company's improved sales of memory chips for phones, servers and game consoles helped offset flat growth in Samsung's high-end smartphone business. Facing similar problems as Apple in the high-end smartphone market, Samsung warned investors that growth in the premium segment would remain tepid in the near future. However, the company is hoping for strong growth in tablet sales as it is gradually narrowing the gap with market leader Apple.
With a net profit of 8.24 trillion Won ($7.66 billion), Samsung managed to outperform Apple profit-wise for the second consecutive quarter. The Korean electronics giant may have to move a lot more units than Apple to achieve that profit, but it is a testament to the company's overall health that it manages to turn a sizeable profit while competing in so many different markets.
- Mobile OS: smartphone market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015Mobile OS: smartphone market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015
- Smartphone market share held by vendors in India 2013-2016, by quarterSmartphone market share held by vendors in India 2013-2016, by quarter
- Share of the smartphone market in India 2014-2016, by vendorShare of the smartphone market in India 2014-2016, by vendor
- Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016
- Number of smartphone users in Germany 2009-2016Number of smartphone users in Germany 2009-2016
- Smartphone users worldwide 2014-2020Smartphone users worldwide 2014-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl