Asia to Become Twitter's Most Important Market
As Twitter's user growth is gradually slowing down, much of its future growth will occur in highly populated, developing regions such as Asia. eMarketer predicts the percentage of Twitter's active users coming from the Asia-Pacific region to increase from 29% in 2012 to 40% in 2018. Conversely, users from North America are expected to account for 19% of the social network's user base in 2018, down from 28% in 2012.
The problem for Twitter is that it generates much more revenue per user in the U.S. than it does in the emerging economies of the Asia-Pacific region. According to Twitter's latest earnings release, the company (which doesn't disclose revenue per user) generated $3.47 of advertising revenue per 1,000 timeline views in the U.S.; Internationally, that number shrinks to $0.61 per 1,000 timeline views and it can be safely assumed that the number is even lower for the Asia-Pacific region. So in order to capitalize on the strong user growth in the region, Twitter will need to increase its efforts to monetize users outside of the United States and other developed markets.
- Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide 2016Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide 2016
- Most-followed brands on Twitter 2017Most-followed brands on Twitter 2017
- Twitter: number of monthly active users 2010-2016Twitter: number of monthly active users 2010-2016
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2016Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2016
- Media usage in an online minute 2016Media usage in an online minute 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl